Question for the Dippers

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by mrjason71, Nov 6, 2017.

1. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

What do you think about the long term "market acceptability" of this practice? Properly dipped (conserved) silver coins are widely considered acceptable and have been for a long time (as far as I know). The same does not seem to be true for copper. Do you think as "we learn more" many of these red cents will lose their "market acceptability?"

I have honestly never seen a blast white Bust Half that didn't look really odd...something about that design needs the patina (at least to me). That being said, the idea of "never dipping" one seems like closed minded thinking. I'd rather have a dipped one than one being destroyed by end-stage oxidation.

coinsareus10 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

CamaroDMD, asked: "What do you think about the long term "market acceptability" of this practice? Properly dipped (conserved) silver coins are widely considered acceptable and have been for a long time (as far as I know). The same does not seem to be true for copper. Do you think as "we learn more" many of these red cents will lose their "market acceptability?"

As you must know, what I think does not matter. I'll bet many of these coins are being removed from the market one way or the other - IMO, mostly by crack-out attempts to upgrade.

CamaroDMD posted: "I have honestly never seen a blast white Bust Half that didn't look really odd...something about that design needs the patina (at least to me). That being said, the idea of "never dipping" one seems like closed minded thinking. I'd rather have a dipped one than one being destroyed by end-stage oxidation."

I have. Check out high-grade slabs in auctions and at shows.

baseball21 likes this.
  4. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

I can't show you a picture of one dated 1798, but were you to do a search on Heritage for MS RD large cents, you would find no less than 500 of them. And that's just from Heritage, just imagine how many more there are from other venues.

5. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

1814O103Obv.JPG

1814O103Rev.JPG

Despite Doug's position, I don't buy the concept of "end stage oxidation is destructive" unless something other than a silver sulfide reaction is involved. Can you scrub it with your thumb and remove it? Yes. You can remove a few molecules of clean silver that way, too; you just don't see it until you've altered the character of the surface. Can you reverse it, even in end stage, so that it's all silver again?

Yes.

Doesn't sound destructive to me.

coinzip likes this.
  6. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

Ok. It’s your coin. But I do believe in it because I have seen it.

7. GDJMSP

I am truly surprised by your comments. I mean if corrosion can eat completely through 16 inches of plate steel - and it is an undeniable fact that it can - how can you possibly think that corrosion cannot eat completely through 2mm of silver, or copper, or nickel ?

That said, I readily grant you that there are many stages of corrosion, and yes it can be removed revealing metal underneath, sometimes undamaged metal. But you and I both know that metal is often pitted, permanently damaged, as a result of the corrosion.

Any way you want to look at it, I call that destructive. And have a hard time believing there is anyone else who does not.

8. mrjason71

mrjason71 Active Member

All tarnish should be removed every 50 years to save these historical artifacts for the children of tomorrow.

9. Insider

SuperDave, posted: "Despite Doug's position, I don't buy the concept of "end stage oxidation is destructive" unless something other than a silver sulfide reaction is involved. Can you scrub it with your thumb and remove it? Yes. You can remove a few molecules of clean silver that way, too; you just don't see it until you've altered the character of the surface. Can you reverse it, even in end stage, so that it's all silver again? Yes. Doesn't sound destructive to me."

:rolleyes: OMG! :stop:

Folks, each of us have specialties. Some here may be Large cent experts. Some my be coin "doctors" who get their work passed all the time as natural! The best house painter in the world may even post on CT. Others may be photographers. When a guy that can take a pretty image of a coin, starts to tell the expert painter what's going on, it is not only :yack::yack::yack::yack::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious: it is like a destructive tin-pest corrosion eating away at the knowledge assembled by experts in their field.

@SuperDave I should remind you and all of us posting here that, in the big picture, no one cares which concepts we accept and which we don't. The important thing is to know the actual, experimentally verifiable, facts. Here is one
    I think MAY sum up Doug's position and mine:

The reason someone "coined" the terms "end stage oxidation" is because that's what it is and it sounds much better than "The surface of you coin has been terminally destroyed forever by corrosion and nothing can restore it!"

In an attempt to prove his point, our :confused: "Ex-Pert" poster proves he knows absolutely nothing about what "end stage" oxidation actually is:

WARNING NOTHING IN THE FOLLOWING QUOTE :bucktooth::yack::yack::yack::yack: IS TRUE:

"Can you scrub it with your thumb and remove it? Yes. You can remove a few molecules of clean silver that way, too; you just don't see it until you've altered the character of the surface. Can you reverse it, even in end stage, so that it's all silver again? Yes. Doesn't sound destructive to me."

JAY-AR likes this.
  10. thomas mozzillo

thomas mozzillo Well-Known Member

I'm not doubting anything said about dipping copper coins as I am not a chemist. I would just like to known are you stating the coins were dipped before they started to tone or after toning was obvious on the coin, ie, red/brown, brown, etc. Either way the coin would have to be uncirculated (or MS if you prefer). If they were dipped how many of us on coin talk would love to know that secret?

11. mrjason71

mrjason71 Active Member

I think the number would be right around that which dip silver. That was the whole reasoning behind starting this thread. All things being equal, dipping copper and dipping are the same ethically, etc. All things are not equal--nasty color issue with dipped copper. So you have to AT which is another step down the ethics ladder in most people's opinion or you have to figure out how to convert brown oxidation into red. I say concert because removing brown oxidation and replacing it with red sounds an awful lot like AT to me. I do not think red exists beneath brown. In fact I've taken a peak and all that is underneath brown is nasty ;)

12. halfcent1793

halfcent1793 Well-Known Member

Dip silver coins if you must, but realize the luster will diminish every time you do it, but do NOT dip copper coins. Loss of luster is the least of your problems if you do.

NEVER use any acid dip on copper coins.
    It micropits the surface very quickly. The acid in the dip is the major problem. It dissolves native copper as well as toned copper patina.

Also, do not use sulfur ointment to "recolor" copper coins. Sulfur also etches (pits) the surface.

13. mrjason71

mrjason71 Active Member

I have been all over this website and half dozen other ones. Never heard this claim before. Is this based on your research? It would be easy enough to use a microscope and observe this I imagine (I don't personally have one). Or is this second hand from some reliable source?

I think this should be made common knowledge in coin community if it is indeed true. An argument being made here is that copper coins can be restored to red and even get encapsulated. This micro-pitting is getting by the grading services or another non-dip process is being performed. Or it isn't really happening. What do you think halfcent1793?

14. GDJMSP

The copper coins are being dipped after they have turned red brown or brown. And yes you are correct they are MS coins. Red is not a designation given to circulated coins.

Does the bright color of untoned silver exist underneath dark or black toning ? Of course it does. The proof of that is the millions of dipped coins you see. Copper is no different, under the red brown or brown toning exist the original mint red color of copper.

As for that color being AT, when a silver coin is dipped is that color AT ? No, of course it isn't. So why should copper be different ?

The reason that most people believe that copper cannot be successfully dipped is because they think copper looks to be a weird color, an unnatural color when it is dipped. And I'll be the first to stand in line and say that if you dip it the same way that you dip silver coins - it does look to be an unnatural color, a weird color. I agree with them 100%.

You see, you're basing your comments on the assumption that copper is dipped, turned a weird color, and them somehow turned an acceptable color. But what if you don't dip it the same way you dip silver coins ? What if there is a different technique, a technique that not everybody is aware of ? What then ?

A couple hundred years ago when people first started dipping silver coins in an effort to remove unsightly toning do you think for one minute that they had immediate success ? Of course they didn't ! They had to go through a learning process, they had to learn how to do it right, how to do it successfully. Throughout history there has been a thousand things, a million things that people thought you simply could not do. But they only thought that until somebody figured out how you could do it.

And the evidence, the very existence of all those red copper coins, tells us that somebody has figured it out.

JAY-AR likes this.
  15. mrjason71

mrjason71 Active Member

How bout this micro putting business that affects copper and not silver???

16. GDJMSP

It's not true, at least not in the way it was stated. Copper and silver, and nickel too for that matter, can be pitted by improper dipping. And by improper ultrasonic cleaning. But granted copper is more susceptible to both.

That said, there are those who agree with the claim. But this is largely because copper is a much more reactive metal than other coinage metals and because it is more reactive it tends to develop minor pitting more readily simply as a result of the corrosion, the toning, that is taking place. And then when copper is dipped that pitting becomes more readily visible. But the pitting was already there before the dipping ever occurred.

17. mrjason71

mrjason71 Active Member

Gotcha. Like I said I would think it would be pretty easy to test. Could dip a red unc copper--one you know has no micro pitting. Do you have micro pitting after?

18. GDJMSP

If you do it right - no.

What I am saying is this. It is possible to dip copper and cause some pitting. But it is not a certainty that dipping copper will cause pitting.

19. Insider

halfcent1793, posted: "Dip silver coins if you must, but realize the luster will diminish every time you do it,..."

:rolleyes: The first time I heard this nonsense was from the mouth of a Commemorative coin expert who was a guest speaker at a grading seminar in the 1980's. His contention was that if you put a light meter on a silver coin and took a reading and then dipped it, the reflection of its luster would diminish and read lower on the instrument! :facepalm: As soon as he left the class, our very knowledgeable :bookworm: professional instructor :cigar: informed the class to forget what they just heard o_O as it was absolute, uninformed, nonsense! Next, he praised the expertise of his invited guest and surmised that a cloud must have blocked some of the sunlight during the expert's second reading. :angelic:

The next week, the instructor explained the difference between dipping coins by :bucktooth: amateurs and PROPER dipping. The class did some tests. Bottom line: If a coin is dipped properly, no one can tell after one dip. :jawdrop: No one can tell after two dips. :jawdrop: No one could tell after three dips. :jawdrop: Do you see where this :yack::yack::yack: is going? :yawn: Sometime between many acid dips and the thousandth - when the coin and your fingers dissolve :dead:, its luster WILL BE diminished :oops:. How much and when depends on a number of variables. For example, you can take a gem DCAM Proof and leave it in a bowl of "Tarnex" for awhile and its luster will be diminished with one dip BUT that's not considered proper dipping. :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::(

@halfcent1793 properly cautions: "NEVER use any acid dip on copper coins. It micropits the surface very quickly. The acid in the dip is the major problem. It dissolves native copper as well as toned copper patina."

mrjason71, posted: "Gotcha. Like I said I would think it would be pretty easy to test. Could dip a red unc copper--one you know has no micro pitting. Do you have micro pitting after?"

:arghh: How much power do you wish to use? See the point? Numismatists do not work at the atomic level of a coin's surface. I applaud your curiosity, :joyful: but please don't complicate the thread as you'll drive yourself and others nuts. Yes, crank that Electron Microscope up, take before and after scans of the coin's surface and you'll prove @halfcents is correct. Then, we can determine how many dozen dips it takes to pit the surface enough to change the luster to a professional grader's eyes! :D Let's see, that test could be done at a cost of $$$ and take most of the day preparing the sample after each dip. :D

BTW, copper coins are being restored to "market acceptable red" and slabbed. It has been going on for decades. :jawdrop::facepalm: I believe that folks here are just arguing about the "numbers." :happy:

Last edited: Nov 24, 2017
    JAY-AR, Stevearino and Kentucky like this.
  20. GDJMSP

Yeah, some might be, but I'm pretty sure there are some who simply deny that it is and has been happening. Many believe that you simply cannot successfully dip copper coins.

Stevearino and Kentucky like this.
  21. mrjason71

mrjason71 Active Member

I just got a loupe (10X) :)

I'll have to give this a look: Before and after dipping of an uncirculated red copper. I see what you guys are saying; You cant really say pitting was caused by dipping a brown copper because the pitting may already be beneath the toning. Would be easy to blame the dip in that scenario.

Draft saved Draft deleted