Question for the Dippers

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by mrjason71, Nov 6, 2017.

1. mrjason71

mrjason71 Active Member

I'm scared to ask any cleaning related questions. I know how polarizing the issue is. So this question is specifically for those who have dipped coins in an E-Z-est type acid/thiourea solution. If you are against cleaning in any way, shape, or form you don't have to read and get yourself all irate. I totally respect your opinion.

I am currently doing all the experiments--trying to learn the boundaries of dipping successfully. I feel a bit like the alchemist of old...I'm suddenly a middle aged chemist trying to turn lead into gold :)

Anyway my question I guess is a bit more philosophical than practical. My understanding is that you can get away with dipping as long as there is luster left when you are done. This is market acceptable. The results of this can be graded straight. No "cleaned" bodybag, etc.

I could be mistaken, but it seems to me that this consensus does not apply to copper. My question is: Would it be ok to dip copper if luster remained afterward? For the moment lets just put aside the question of color. Yes, I know whacky stuff can happen with the color when dipping copper. Lets say hypothetically that color remained the same. In that scenario you would have the exact same outcome as silver. I don't know if I am getting across exactly what I am trying to get across. There seems to be a stigma attached to dipping copper that doesn't exist for silver. It seems to me they are exactly the same procedure except that copper has color issues.

If it were not for the color issue would it be ok? Would it be as acceptable as dipping silver? That's my question ;)

Thanks in advance.

Hope you have some interesting thoughts and/or useful, enlightening pieces of information.

Jason

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

mrjason71, posted: I'm scared to ask any cleaning related questions. I know how polarizing the issue is. So this question is specifically for those who have dipped coins in an E-Z-est type acid/thiourea solution. If you are against cleaning in any way, shape, or form you don't have to read and get yourself all irate. I totally respect your opinion.

This is priceless! It's too bad you even need to write that as IMO, anyone who is against PROPER DIPPING (conservation) is ignorant!

Anyway my question I guess is a bit more philosophical than practical. My understanding is that you can get away with dipping as long as there is luster left when you are done. This is market acceptable. The results of this can be graded straight. No "cleaned" bodybag, etc.

NO, luster has nothing to do with it. You can get away with dipping as long as no one can tell for sure that the coin was dipped. Additionally, just because a 150 year old coin is blast white DOES NOT MEAN IT WAS DIPPED IN THE PAST!

I could be mistaken, but it seems to me that this consensus does not apply to copper. My question is: Would it be ok to dip copper if luster remained afterward? For the moment lets just put aside the question of color. Yes, I know whacky stuff can happen with the color when dipping copper. Lets say hypothetically that color remained the same. In that scenario you would have the exact same outcome as silver. I don't know if I am getting across exactly what I am trying to get across. There seems to be a stigma attached to dipping copper that doesn't exist for silver. It seems to me they are exactly the same procedure except that copper has color issues.

...Those "color issues" you mention are very important. Until you learn what you are doing don't touch copper.

PS When you discover how to dip copper in the chemical you mention and have it stay the same color, you can be a millionaire.

4. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

The only problem with dipping copper is that thiourea turns it orange. Then again, that's a pretty big problem. :)

Learning to dip is elementary. It's not difficult. Learning what to dip seems beyond the ken of most who try it.

tpsadler, Kentucky, Cascade and 3 others like this.
  5. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

I understand your point, but I'm not sure how to word my response but I'll give it a try. I don't think you can say that luster has nothing to do it because there are times when it does. For example, say you have a coin that has no wear on it, and almost always if the coin has no wear on it then the coin has to have luster. And there are really only two occasions when a coin will not have any wear, and not have any luster. 1 - when the toning has progressed to the point that all the luster has been destroyed. And 2 - when a coin has been over-dipped and the dip has destroyed the luster. Other than those scenarios, if a coin has no wear then it is going to have luster.

So it is in that regard that luster does have something to do with it. A fine point perhaps but one that matters.

What the OP is talking about is dipping a coin and doing it correctly. And if a coin has luster before you dip it, then it must still have at least most of that luster still on it after you dip it. For it is only then that no one can tell for sure that the coin was dipped.

Regarding the copper issue. Most people believe that you cannot successfully dip copper. Why ? Because of the color issues already mentioned. I think everybody has seen examples, when you dip copper it usually turns very bright, sometimes even a pinkish shade. It looks completely unnatural after it's been dipped. Or so most believe.

However, there is a huge amount of evidence that tells us that copper can be successfully dipped.

About now I imagine almost everybody is saying - WHAT ?? Where is this evidence ? EVERYBODY knows you can't dip copper !!!

So where is the evidence ? It's been staring you right in the face for a great many years - you simply never noticed it. The evidence is all the copper coins that have been graded and slabbed as being MS RED.

If you check the pop reports you'll literally see millions of copper coins that have been graded MS RED. And most of those coins are 50 or more years old. Some of them, a significant number, are well over 100 years old, and some even 200 years old. But yet they are still graded as MS RED. And the requirement for MS RED is and always has been 95% or more original mint red. And of all the copper coins that have been graded only a small percentage of them have been graded Red Brown or Brown.

Now you need to ask yourself how can this possibly be ? The reason you need to ask yourself how it can possibly be is because copper is the most reactive coinage we have (excepting the modern $1 coins). Copper tones if you just look at it and say the word toning. But if copper tones, 5% or more, then it can't be mint red.

Also understand that it is a given that all coins begin to tone the moment after they are struck. This is because all coins are exposed to the air. And copper tones faster and easier than any other coinage metal we use or have used. And there has never been and even today still isn't an airtight coin holder. There is no method and never has been a method by which coins can stored and protected from contact with the air. So how exactly have all these millions of copper coins managed to stay mint red for 50 to 200 years ?

Could a few here and there over the years have somehow managed to be protected by some freak accident and as a result not toned ? Yeah sure I'll give that much, I don't know how they were protected but I won't say with certainty that it never could have happened. But I will say that it most definitely did not happen with millions of them.

Given all of that, deductive reasoning, pure common sense, tells us that the only way that millions of copper coins 50 to 200 years old can be mint red today is if copper can be successfully dipped. There simply is no other reasonable explanation.

So now the question that always pops up is - then why can't I do it, why can't anybody else do it ? Well, I can guarantee you that there are a whole lot of things that you can't do for one simple reason - because you don't know how. And why don't you know how ? Because it's a secret, and it stays a secret because nobody will ever admit to it, let alone tell somebody else how to do it.

So somebody sure knows how to do it, my guess is quite a few somebodies know how. Because there just isn't any other way that all those red copper coins could even exist.

6. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

The population reports don't really support this claim. PCGS has a population of 3 for Cents/Half Cents before 1800. For Draped Bust Cents its 3, Draped Half cents its 14. 453 for the rest of the half cents and 784 for the rest of the large cents.

The significant majority for red cents is from the Lincolns. Even with Indian head cents red is the least common color designation. In total PCGS has graded a little under half a million copper cents/half cents red and about 25% of those are from 1959 or later. NGC numbers are likely similar and you very likely won't get over a million without counting moderns. There is a substantial drop off in the red designation when you go back past Lincolns and another huge drop off when you go back further than Indians.

There certainly may be people that have figured out how to dip copper and I believe someone probably has figured out how to be successful some of the time with it, but the pop reports aren't reading like its an easy thing to do or widespread.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2017
    Blissskr, imrich and Insider like this.
  7. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

Doug wrote: I don't think you can say that luster has nothing to do it because there are times when it does. For example, say you have a coin that has no wear on it, and almost always if the coin has no wear on it then the coin has to have luster. And there are really only two occasions when a coin will not have any wear, and not have any luster. 1 - when the toning has progressed to the point that all the luster has been destroyed. And 2 - when a coin has been over-dipped and the dip has destroyed the luster. Other than those scenarios, if a coin has no wear then it is going to have luster.
    So it is in that regard that luster does have something to do with it. A fine point perhaps but one that matters.

I agree, and your post/comments are more to the point. However, many coins that are dipped have either no original mint luster, just a little, a lot, or all of it so in my answer the amount of original mint luster on a coin was not considered to be a factor in dipping. Now, just to be safe/exact/correct, IMO, worn coins with no original mint luster remaining should rarely be dipped.

I've used original mint in my post as the reflection of light from the surface of a metal coin is called luster and even a polished coin with no original mint luster has "luster." It just does not look like original mint luster.

8. mrjason71

mrjason71 Active Member

Thank you guys for replying. Absolutely the sort of discussion I would like to have. I have delved deep into the archives here and elsewhere looking for even the most minute piece of advice. I believe others are indeed doing this successfully--and not in any kind of unethical way I might add--unless dipping silver is unethical. I think it is generally agreed that even conservation companies do this so...

There's 3 ways I can think of accomplishing the goal: 1) Dip and get the right color out of the bowl. 2) Some other process than dipping, or 3) Dipping and AT'ing the result to market acceptability. Really hoping to figure out 1 and/or 2. Hopefully option 3 isn't the only one that is possible. I guess that would be better than nothing ;) What do you guys think? If it is being dipped, is it then being AT'd to market acceptability?

Thanks for taking the time to read and give such thoughtful answers. I know this topic has been beaten to death, but it really is my favorite :)

Last edited: Nov 6, 2017
  9. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

If you've dipped a coin to the point of losing luster you've either gone waaay too far or it was dipped to the very edge of capacity already and you don't know it. More likely than not is a details will result if the dip leaves a cloudy haze from going a bit too far or the dip can't remove everything without going too far leaving traces that the coin has been dipped.

And to the OP, there is a big difference between cleaning and conservation. Although the line separating the two can be paper thin.

asheland likes this.
  10. GDJMSP

We're gonna disagree on that until the end of time. Cleaning and conservation are exactly the same thing. Now harsh cleaning and conservation - yup, there's big difference between those !

11. GDJMSP

Correct, and that 1,257 copper coins that are well over 150 old and yet they are still RED. And don't forget the 2 cent coins, there's an additional 1,583 of those that are RED. That's almost 3,000 coins that are over or almost 150 years old. That's a significant number. Indian Head cents, there's almost 17,000 of them that are all over 100 years old. That's just business strikes, doesn't include any Proofs. And that's just the PCGS numbers.

Throw in the NGC numbers which are even higher if memory serves, and then throw in the ANACS and ICG numbers on top of that and you're pushing 40-50,000 copper coins 100 or more years old that are still RED.

Lincoln Wheats, there's over 305,000 of them - and every one over 50 years old. Lincoln Memorial, over 72,000 of those are RED. And only 72,000 Lincoln Memorials are RED. And again that's just PCGS numbers. All in all there's well more than twice as many copper coins that are over 50 years old that are still red than there are those less than 50 years old.

When you add everything up, all TPGs, business strikes and Proofs, half cent, cent, and 2 cent coins - you're into the millions just like I said. So yes the pop reports do support that.

Now copper tones and begins turning brown in a matter of days - and yes I said days. Care to tell me how, care to tell us how that many copper coins managed to stay red for that long ?

There really is only one answer.

imrich likes this.
  12. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

True because of the Lincolns, but that could also be changed overnight easily and is really just a result of submission bias. Obviously there are more red coins left from the last 50 years than before, most just aren't worth submitting.

Into the million yes, not millions though unless the NCG population is over double the PCGS and that includes a significant portion of moderns.

Not every single one turns quickly or at all, just like some coins will tone quickly and others seem to never want to even when they came right from the mint and you know they haven't been dipped.

I don't find it inconceivable that a minuscule percentage of a mintage could have ended up in an environment that kept it red. Pretty much every climate you can think of exists in the country and some are much more favorable than others. We're really talking about a fraction of one percent of the mintages for the older coins. Were a few dipped successfully probably, but that isn't the only possible way they could still be red.

imrich likes this.
  13. GDJMSP

And I readily acknowledged that -

But I still say this -

Nor did I ever say it was the only possible way. The entire point I am making is that given the huge number of red coins there are it is far more likely, far more probable that the vast majority of the number of coins designated as MS RED were designated as such because they were successfully dipped than it is that they somehow managed to survive by accident.

And I say by accident fore several reasons, the very nature and proclivity of copper to tone very quickly, the fact that there is not and never has been an airtight coin holder nor any other airtight storage method, and because collectors far a wide struggled for many decades trying to find some way, any way, to keep their copper coins mint red - and they always failed ! Time and time again they failed ! Even today, with all of the advances in technology that we have, there is still now way to keep copper coins mint red. Even the TPGs acknowledge this fact because they refuse to guarantee the color designation.

So no, there is no accidental way for such a huge number of red coins to be red. There is only one way it could have happened, and still happen - copper can be successfully dipped ! This is the one and only conclusion that any reasonable mind could ever come to.

But of course people will only believe what they want to believe - regardless of the undeniable evidence that stares them in the face.

tpsadler, Kentucky and SuperDave like this.
  14. Jaelus

Jaelus The Hungarian Antiquarian Supporter

I don't know about copper, but from my collection of WWI/WWII era iron and zinc coins, the ones I have that survived in high grades did so stored in machine oil/mineral oil and wrapped in cloth or the like. Some are over 100 years old and look as struck, with no oxidation, and have not been dipped. I believe encasement in oil would count as an airtight storage method (though it needs to be cared for), and one that was historically available.

15. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

There's a whole lot of truth concentrated in this post.

For the record, shellac or some similar coating will keep copper from coloring, but that's not the point because it isn't in evidence on the exceptions we're discussing. Every once in a great while, perhaps, the Mint planchet pre-treatment somehow "sticking" more strongly - or an accident of surface composition - or a lucky continuous happenstance of location and storage technique - could result in a copper retaining its' original color. But not as often as the quantity of older Reds in the market indicates. Thiourea does not do well with copper, but something has to.

We're surrounded by proof which is apparent with the application of logical reasoning.

Stevearino likes this.
  16. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Now take one of those old "red" coins and compare it to a new freshly minted copper coin. That old red is not the same as a new red the color HAS darkened and mellowed. Toning has occurred. But the color is even all over. When the color isn't even and you have lighter and darker areas then it becomes "red and brown".

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  17. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Fascinating discussion which might interest @BadThad I do admit to a terrible compulsion to cle... conserve coins. Copper is very problematic. One approach I have tried is dipping or soaking in oxalic acid. Despite the "acid" designation, the chemical is more of a reducing agent than it is an acid. The idea is to reduce the copper oxide on the surface back to copper while the oxalic acid is oxidized to carbon dioxide. Give it a try if you have any oxalic acid about.

Stevearino likes this.
  18. GDJMSP

Granted. But you and I both have seen countless examples of copper coins that toned in the slab. Coins that were Red when they were slabbed, but simply aren't any more. And you and I both know the history of the guarantee issue and how it has changed because eventually even the TPGs had to acknowledge that copper simply will not stay red - not for very long anyway.

My point being that all of my previous points are still valid, even when the TPGs cheat some and call coins Red that are not really Red. Which is what you're talking about.

For anyone who still doesn't grasp what I have been saying, or just flat out doesn't believe it. Please perform this simple test for yourself so you can see it with your own eyes. Take any copper coin that is original mint RED in your eyes, your opinion. Get some coin dip, hold that coin in your fingers so it is vertical, and just dip the bottom half of it. Just for a split second. What you will see is a very noticeable difference in color between the top half and the bottom half.

In other words what you will see is that top half, that you did not dip, even though you thought it was still original mint red - it really wasn't. The coin had already toned considerably.

So why are you really doing this ? Well the coin that you use is probably going to be a fairly recently minted coin. And what you are going to see is that even that coin has already toned considerably. Now just imagine that coin being 50, 100, 150 years old - how much toning would it have then ?

When you see things with your own eyes, what you previously thought was the truth, it suddenly becomes very obvious that it wasn't the truth at all.

Kentucky likes this.
  19. mrjason71

mrjason71 Active Member

Whoa I didn't realize this thread was still going on. I thought Id get an email alert if something new came through. Ironically I did a search on a term and this popped up :) You know that ugly pink color that people hate to see and use as a denigrating description of "cleaned" coins? Well that is the color of a freshly minted copper coin in my estimation--at least those Ive been able to witness newly minted each year. Copper coins might have been a different color when newly minted 50, 100 years ago--I wouldn't know since I was not alive. I assume they were pink as well (unless the switch to zinc had something to do with this). You would think people would like that pink color. They do turn red awfully quick. I have a ton of post 1980 red pennies (and lots of 1935-1980s) that I have personally taken immediately out of circulation. They were pink. They are now red. To GDJMSP's point: I guess copper tones so quickly that people cannot believe that a copper coin is still newly minted pink. This is a little off the point but I have a bunch of 1935-1959 cents that are a beautiful orange. Is that what comes after the red? And then into brown? Pink, red, orange, then brown? Or did some other storage scenario create the orange and these were never "red"?

Stevearino likes this.
  20. asheland

asheland The Silver Lion

Interesting thread.

21. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Orange is bad.
    I haven't gotten any e mail notifications in a year. And I never changed my settings.

Draft saved Draft deleted