Question Concerning a Lincoln cent on a foreign gold planchet

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Mike1951p, Dec 6, 2017.

1. Mike1951p

Mike1951p New Member

I have found out that in 1950, the US minted for Syria; a matter of fact, they minted a coin struck in .900 fine gold. Now, this coin is 19mm (the same as a Lincoln)and only a quarter of a gram more in weight than an ordinary Lincoln cent. 1/2 pound. My question is, could it be possible for a 1950-51 Lincoln to be struck on a 1/2 pound Syrian gold planchet? Also, one reason I ask is that I have a solid gold 1951 Lincoln Wheat cent that I just uncovered these past few days. I know this sounds too rare but I did find it. I wrote a letter today to ANACS and one to NGC yesterday. Here are pics of the potential gold coin my Lincoln was struck on and my 1951 lincoln. syg1950_half_pound.jpg IMG_20171206_085523-1.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mike1951p

Mike1951p New Member

For the record, not plated but solid.

4. Blissskr

Blissskr Well-Known Member

Imo your coin is a science experiment, a cent coated in zinc and then turned 'gold' or coated with yellow brass via application of heat. That being said anything is possible and what you theorize could have occurred but highly unlikely.

Nathan401 likes this.
  5. Mike1951p

Mike1951p New Member

Thanks for the reply.

6. Mike1951p

Mike1951p New Member

Tested and approved solid GOLD

urjunkmytresur likes this.
  7. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Tested by who? Approved by who?
    I believe this was the Philly mint, let's see the other side of your coin.
    Anything is possible, but they probably had much stricter controls with gold planchets. They did have some quality control and a gold cent would have stuck out like a sore thumb at many different points before this coin made it to circulation.
    Right now this article says there are no examples of your coin.
    if your coin is real, it would be the 1st one.
    https://minterrornews.com/news-5-13-03-foreigners_in_the_mint.html

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
  8. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

The toning looks odd. Too much color. Better images of both sides would be cool.

352sdeer likes this.
  9. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

The specific gravity of copper is about 8.8 and gold is 19.2, twice as heavy. SO your coin either has to be half the size of a normal cent or weigh more than twice as much. The plating in post #3 is most likely. Jim

10. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

What does the "gold" cent weigh?

According to Numista there are two 1950 Syrian gold coins (and a pattern), one weighs 3.38g the other 6.76g.

The US Copper cent is 3.11g, with a gold plating adding a trivial amount.

11. Michael K

If I read the other posts correctly, if this is the size of a US cent, it would have to weigh 6.76.
    But, as you pointed out the Syrian 1950 gold half pound weighs 3.3793g, which would make the cent half of it's normal size (which it isn't because we see the full detail on the reverse.)
    The plating argument gets stronger.

Oldhoopster likes this.
  12. l.cutler

l.cutler Member

More questions than answers, what is the weight? Can you post a picture of the obverse? How was the composition tested? With more info someone should be able to come up with a definitive answer.

13. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

And of course while the diameter may be similar the planchet would be much thinner and unlikely to strike up well.

My 2 cents are on plating but we need OP to respond.

14. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

@desertgem and @Michael K have given you the answer. For it to be gold, it would have to weigh significantly more than a normal cent, or be much thinner (which isn't the case based on your pics.

I am guessing you had someone test the composition with a handheld XRF that many precious metal buyers use. I do not doubt that you could get a reading that says it's gold. HOWEVER, you need to understand that this test only measures the composition of the surface and doesn't penetrate very deep. So you've effectively determined that the surface of your coin is gold.

Bottom line, it's plated

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
  15. Fred Weinberg

Fred Weinberg Well-Known Member

It's plated, not gold in any universe.

It doesn't even look close to any
    gold coin of the world.

Sorry, but it's not what you think it is.

Weigh the coin, and I assure you it
    will weigh between 3.1 and 3.25 grams
    at the most, or 48 to 49.50 grains, at
    the most.

paddyman98 and Michael K like this.
  16. David Setree Rare Coins

David Setree Rare Coins Well-Known Member

Now darn it. You went and burst his bubble.

After all, It was "approved" solid gold by his cousin Bernie.

17. robec

robec Junior Member

Boy, that finger’s going to leave a mark.

Rick Stachowski likes this.
  18. Colonialjohn

Colonialjohn Active Member

As I have written in my upcoming book "Forgotten Coins" there are probably two major ways to gold plate a cent. The cent actually being almost pure copper provides a pretty good host as both silver and gold bind very well to copper. In ths first process gold mercuric amalgamation. If you do a surface XRF test see if Hg is picked up - probably 0.1-2.0% or something in this range. If present = plated. However based on the photo its seems its a fine application or thin gold layer if indeed plated so gold electrodeposition with cyanide in a battery type anode/cathode process. Check the edges with a loop and see if copper (color) is present beneath the gold plating or the edges 360* around for a possible break in the plating. Note above the specific gravity post and check the weight and see what other gold coins were made between 1950-1955. Send to PCGS or NGC if you believe its solid gold based on XRF and its weight being twice the mint reported weight of a copper wheat. Good luck ... but IMO unlikely.

John Lorenzo
    Numismatist
    United States

19. Fred Weinberg

John, or he can weigh the coin
    at his local coin store, or jewelry store,
    and compare the weight of his coin
    to what I mentioned above.

352sdeer likes this.
  20. Michael K

But then you don't get to play with all those fancy gizmos.

21. Fred Weinberg

Yep, you're right, but sometimes the
    simplest thing to do is the fastest,
    most efficient, least costly, and a
    good determinate of what the composition
    is - weigh the darn thing !

If it's gold, it won't weigh anywhere,
    repeat anywhere, near the weight of
    a normal copper cent.

This coin will.

paddyman98 likes this.