Question: Cleoptara - Marc Antony denarii Die Study Sought

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Broucheion, Mar 22, 2020.

1. Broucheion

Broucheion Well-Known Member

Hi All,

Quick Question to the group: Does anyone know if a die study has been done on the Cleoptara - Marc Antony denarii ? I just bought one and found a match to a CNG coin from 2017 [Electronic Auction 392 504 (01.03.2017)]. My coin is not in hand so I can't post a decent photo yet. I'd like to get info if it exists. All leads appreciated, and thanks to all.

- Broucheion

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

This is an interesting question. If there has not been a die study, does anyone have an educated guess on how many dies there were for each of the legions? Are we talking a dozen, a hundred or more?

Broucheion likes this.
  4. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 Well-Known Member

Edit: sorry I thought we were talking about the legion coins not the portraits

Last edited: Mar 22, 2020
  5. Broucheion

Last edited: Mar 22, 2020
    Roman Collector and Jay GT4 like this.
  6. Broucheion

Hi Again,

It just dawned on me that this die study might be part of the Roman Republican Die Project announced by the ANS a while back.

"This project, undertaken by Dr. Lucia Carbone (ANS) and Prof. Liv Yarrow (Brooklyn College, CUNY) aims at providing a precise quantification of the monetary production under the Roman Republic. … The first part of the project consists of the digital preservation of Richard Schaefer’s archive of Roman Republican die studies (including all the coin types classified in RRC). … The second part of the project will deal with the digitization of the scanned materials. After the upload to Archer, a post-doctoral fellow under the supervision of Dr. Carbone will create spreadsheets from the scanned images, ..."​

- Boucheion

Draft saved Draft deleted