Question about Unopened proof sets

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by zaneman, Sep 17, 2006.

1. BR549

BR549 Junior Member

You knuckleheads that got proof sets from the US Mint in Philadelphia in the early 1960's I have one question?

1. Was your purchase for multiple sets, like say 50 or more or were they for single sets?

Reason, the individual envelopes and maybe up to 5 were shipped to the buyers without the envelopes sealed, whereas bulk orders (50 or more) the proof sets were accumulated in batches and sealed so everything inside did not fall out during packing. It could be as simple minded as that!

Last time I post to this thread, I can't believe SOME OF you people cannot see this is an original US Mint shipping container from the early 1960's, the flaps on the envelopes were sealed on purpose, everyone of them. Geese.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

This knucklehead only bought one back then. And yes, it was unsealed. Can't say what folks who bought fifty or more got. Back then i could only afford one.....:)

4. VACookey

VACookey New Member

What do you mean "you people"?

5. smokeriderdon

smokeriderdon New Member

The knucklehead part aside, he does have a point. Those envelopes were sealed, and not due to humidity. Think about it for a second. How in the hell are those envelopes going to get humid enough to seal like that without copletely jacking up the box and envelopes too? Just not going to happen.

The sets my dad has were not sealed. The sets I have bought, some were not, and others were at some point (I have no idea at what point). So you knuckleheads (said in complete and total humor) got the single or small multiples unsealed, and large quantities were sealed. Seems logical to me, and explains it.

6. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Something else explains it - people believe what they want to believe - regardless of what the truth is.

But to answer the question, back then I only bought single sets, they were never sealed. In later years I bought multiple sets, like up to 5. They were never sealed either.

Now I have known countless collectors over the years who also used to buy sets direct from the mint, every single one of them says the same thing I do.

But - we all must be wrong about what we saw with our own eyes because 50 years later somebody finds sets that are sealed :rolleyes:

7. BR549

BR549 Junior Member

In a court of law, that video would set a precedence.

oops, I said I wasn't going to post to this thread.

Draft saved Draft deleted