Question about questionable color and re-grading.

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by JP1021, Jul 3, 2012.

1. JP1021

JP1021 Member

Ok, PCGS is starting to get to me with these copper cents. I have these coins in an old album, all of which seem perfectly fine, even some of the toning is shared between two coins. I send both coins, one grades MS64RB and the other 91s and they say it's questionable. Coins next to each other literally and with the same color. It seems like PCGS is trying to be too careful, and just 91ing them and sending them back. Has anyone here had the good fortune of breaking open a PCGS 91 Details penny and sending it to NGC with favorable results?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. robec

robec Junior Member

I've had good fortune breaking it out and sending back to PCGS. Not that I've done it a lot. Just recently I submitted a brightly color toned Proof Lincoln that failed to grade due to Code 91 Questionable Color.

It came back PR67RB.

[​IMG]

4. Cherd

Cherd Junior Member Supporter

PCGS already squirreled you out of some money, I wouldn't turn around and give NGC an oportunity to do the same.

Collector and grading company hypersensitivity to coin cleaning is a bit ridiculous and tiresome. It's also unfortunate that we now feel as though grading fees MUST be paid in order for our coins to be appreciated. Do we really need PCGS or NGC's stamp of approval before we can enjoy the coins in our collections?

5. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

ALL of the TPG's get copper color wrong. 90% of the time, the coin and the color is legit, they just don't want it in one of their holders so they cop-out.

6. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

That's one way of putting it Thad. But I think when push comes to shove what they are really worried about is people claiming that they are slabbing AT coins.

7. JP1021

JP1021 Member

This is the penny in question.

1910SObv1.jpg 1910SRev1.jpg
    1910SObv2.jpg 1910SRev2.jpg

8. dsmith23

dsmith23 Gotta get 'em all

It looks too "yellow" to me.

9. ML94539

ML94539 Senior Member

10. JP1021

JP1021 Member

This one gets me too.

IMG_3162.jpg

11. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

And if you crack it and send it in again it is just as likely to be graded and slabbed as put in another Genuine slab.

This is one of the weaknesses of PCGS, they are very inconsistent. Always have been.

12. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I have found album coins to be the worst at getting the 91 code.

13. Cherd

Cherd Junior Member Supporter

I'm a penny roll searcher. I've come across pennies from circulation that span a huge breadth of color variation. The color of that cent would definitely fall within those bounds. I'd say about 1 in 500 cents have taken on an extreme yellowish hue for some reason. I used to set them aside because I thought it would be fun to have a "yellow" penny date/mint collection. But at some point I lost interest and cashed them in.

Draft saved Draft deleted