Question...,, about Proofs vs. Specimens

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by princeofwaldo, Mar 1, 2019.

1. princeofwaldo

princeofwaldo Grateful To Be eX-I/T!

Among world banknotes, which is generally more valuable for an otherwise identical issue: Proof or Specimen? For instance, the 1955 series from Viet Nam.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

I would say specimen notes would be more valuable, you would think
    On any given series this to be true, just depends on the production figures.

4. princeofwaldo

Thank you. I could find sales info for the specimen but nothing for the proof. Since many proofs are uniface, would it stand to reason there are actually two different proofs for each note?

5. mpcusa

have you tried ebay for alike listings ? and are we talking graded or raw ?

6. princeofwaldo

Graded, finest known.

7. mpcusa

Is the above note you have listed above ?

8. lettow

lettow Senior Member

There can be many proofs for a note. A proof is usually part of the design process.

With lithographed notes there can be many different proofs for the same note as it is possible for their to be a proof of each color or combinations of colors. These would be known as color proofs or progressive proofs. They typically only have certain design elements and are unfinished.

Specimens are usually fully printed notes that may be the result of the press set up, made as examples for banks or presentation pieces, or sold as demonetized notes.

princeofwaldo likes this.
  9. Searcher64

Searcher64 Member

Is it that some specimens in books were printed, so that they could be looked at to determine, which style to be the final proofs, for regular production?

Draft saved Draft deleted