Question about printing runs

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by jmf2737, Apr 9, 2011.

1. jmf2737

jmf2737 New Member

OK, I feel dumb for asking this but I've been reading through a book I just picked up, the Schwartz and Lindquist Small Size Paper Money guide.

Why do certain districts have lower print runs than others? I know star notes get lower print runs, but why the variations between districts in the "non-star" notes?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. lettow

lettow Senior Member

The Fed orders money from the BEP. If the NY FRB asks for $5,000,000 in $1.00, then $5,000,000 in ones get printed for the NY FRB. If the KC FRB does not need $1.00 notes because they have an adequate supply or they only need $1,000,000, then that is all that is printed. The numbers are simplified for sake of illustration but that is the basic process.

4. Jamericon

Jamericon Junior Member

Districts such as New York, Chicago and San Francisco serve highly populated areas. New York also supplies U.S. currency for foreign needs. Typically these banks have lots of FRNs.

Other banks feeding less-populated areas, such as Minneapolis, Kansas City and Dallas, need less notes.

5. jmf2737

jmf2737 New Member

That makes sense. So I guess the lower the print run, the higher the value of the note (assuming the condition is nice?)

6. Dr Kegg

Dr Kegg Star Note Fanatic

Generally that is the case. If a note comes from a lower print run and is desirable, you can expect to pay more for it than a New York or Chicago note.

Draft saved Draft deleted