Question about NGC VarietyPlus service

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by flyers10, Jun 10, 2019.

1. flyers10

flyers10 Collector of US Coinage

I sent in an Economy submission to NGC recently and did one coin with the VarietyPlus. Coin is a 1894/1894 Indian Cent FS-301. Looks like the submission is going through much quicker than my last submission. Showed received 2 days after the post office delivered the coins (last one took 8 day to show received then 3 more days to show scheduled for grading.

Question is when I click on the schedule for grading link it just shows the 1894 1C with no variety designation. I am guessing it will just will show that variety designation later but since I have never used the service before. Anyone have any experience with this?
    Thanks in advance.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

@flyers10

I haven't submitted an error or variety to NGC for quite a few years, but from what I remember, the attribution won't post until it is graded and finalized. I think @paddyman98 would probably know for sure.

Chris

flyers10 likes this.
  4. flyers10

Thank you Chris. I was thinking the same thing but wasn't sure.

5. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Yes this is correct.

flyers10 likes this.
  6. flyers10

Thanks Paddyman98 for the confirmation.

7. jafo50

jafo50 Active Member

@flyers10

I'd be interested in the final result. I submitted a Colonial to NGC and paid for Variety Plus hoping to get the Maris Plate designation on the label. Unfortunately, they used a different designation which was pretty useless in my opinion. I hope you get the results that you expect. Let us know how you made out.

Joe

8. flyers10

@jafo50
    Hi Joe-
    No problem. I will post the results when I get them. I also did the Photo Vision so I will also post photos.

9. Mkman123

Mkman123 Well-Known Member

@flyers10 Can't wait to see the photovision!! Definitely let us know your opinion of it.

flyers10 likes this.
  10. flyers10

@Mkman123 I sure will. I will post them once I get them.

11. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

Considering how long I've been a numismatist, it may be strange (even embarrassing) that I don't know where the FS attribution comes from.
    What's the source?

12. flyers10

13. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

Ah ha!
    Indian Head cents.
    I know them Snow's guides.
    Be interesting to see how they match up.

14. flyers10

Thanks. I will post a picture when I get it back from NGC

15. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

Will NGC or PCGS do Snow attributions rather than FS if requested?

Do Snow and FS attributions overlap 100%, i.e., does every Snow type also have an FS attribution and vice versa? (I suspect not.)
    Snow attributions seem to be heavily weighted toward obverse varieties.
    And I believe that IF there is NOT something "abnormal" about the obverse, Snow does NOT list it. In other words a die with no "abnormal" obverse variation from the ideal will not be listed by Snow.
    I DO know that PCGS will give a Snow attribution to a Flying Eagle -- at least in one case.

16. flyers10

From what is looks like on the website they will only give it FS attribution but not 100 percent sure. This is my VarietyPlus submission with NGC.
    1894/1894 FS-301 1C MS
    NGC Attribution: FS-301

Draft saved Draft deleted