Question about moneyer of Augustus as...

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by John Anthony, Mar 31, 2018.

1. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Hey friends, I came across this as of Augustus, RIC I 382. Is the moneyer CN PISO CN F on the reverse the same as the Gnaeus Calpurnius Piso in this wiki article?

augustus.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Augustus’s moneyers only begun striking coins between 23-19 BC, so the office would have been too junior for that Piso. It’s likely to have been his son, who was eventually Consul with Tiberius in 7 BC.

4. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

5. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

Just read the article and certainly sounds like the same guy, dates tie in as well. I like the portrait the celator has given Augustus a nice Roman nose with not much jaw. :)

6. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

In a similar vein, I always wondered if the "M. Salvius Otho" moneyer on this ca. 7 BC As of Augustus was perhaps the grandfather (?) of the later 69 AD emperor of the same name.

[​IMG]

7. Milesofwho

Milesofwho Omnivorous collector

If you look at the pdf posted above, he is indeed the grandfather of Otho.

8. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Hm. I did look, but must have skimmed past.

9. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Thanks, Z - I suspected as much. It sounded retrograde that a consul in 23 BC would be minting coin in 15. But it does make sense if it was his son, who then went on to be consul in 7. My understanding is that being in a college of tresviri monetales was a stepping stone to bigger things. Thanks for the link!

Justin Lee and zumbly like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted