question about mint mark

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by MatrixMP-9, Dec 7, 2019.

1. MatrixMP-9

MatrixMP-9 Well-Known Member

At first I thought this was some sort of RPM easily seen with the naked eye. After scoping it, its clearly not. Also, there are no listings for this coin so being an RPM is totally ruled out and irrelevant.

What Im curious of is how this happens. Is it just a simple case of a worn die?

Snapshot000010.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. 2manyhobbies

2manyhobbies Well-Known Member

Is this a nickel? What year?

4. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

Looks like the die may be a little worn or beat up. See all the lines going from top left to bottom right. They are likely die polish or flow lines from a worn die. It looks like the inside anomaly is part of the outside mark. Either way, it's something very minor IMO

Be careful, if it takes high mag to see something, chances are there will be very little interest even if you do find something

paddyman98 likes this.
  5. MatrixMP-9

Thank you.

Just curious if my assessment of being worn was correct. Its just dime 96. I noticed the really prevalent lines and how the metal looked this way kind of along those lines. I wasnt really thinking about value or rarity but more of "how" it happens.

6. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

How about backing off a little bit. You're too close.

Chris

7. MatrixMP-9

Probably, but, I seen this with my eye when I got the dime buying red bull this morning. It looked like a possible RPM but then on closer inspection, I immediately ruled it out real quick. Anyway, I was only curious as to how it happens and its not anything I thought was valuable or rare or specifically unique in general. The excess metal along those lines behind the MM made me think bad die wear...Ive seen some examples of pretty bad wear but this one stuck out. No big deal I guess.

Having said that, you guys are right, I tend to get waaaay to close with magnification. 99% of the time I am consciously aware and realize at those levels, you can find all kinds of brain bending errors. Just to show, this is the coin taken from my iphone so you can see what I saw that simply made me curious. Camera doesnt pick it up really good but you can see something inside and around the mint mark. Confirming its just DD helps me (helps convince me lol) when I see other coins so I dont bother with posting, researching and wasting time on it.

IMG_7695.jpg

8. MatrixMP-9

Oh, and thanks as always chris and old hoopster.

9. 2manyhobbies

2manyhobbies Well-Known Member

I'm more interested in this area. IMG_7695.jpg

10. MatrixMP-9

11. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Gee, why hasn't anyone ,mentioned the 'S' at the corner of the eye?? Ahhh, now you see it right.

Oh Happy Pareidolia, how we love you :p

12. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Except for a worn die it looks normal to me.

Draft saved Draft deleted