Question about Medieval Venetian Gold Ducats

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by kevin McGonigal, Mar 24, 2019.

1. kevin McGonigal

kevin McGonigal Well-Known Member

I am trying to find out as much as I can about imitation (medieval, not modern) gold ducats based on the Venetian zechino, especially the inscriptions on them. Apparently a number of these were minted in Greece during the later years of the Crusades. A coin shop near me has something like this but the inscription is partially off the flan on both sides and the fabric of the coin seems a bit shoddy and images are somewhat crude. I have not been able to ascertain the weight and I have not yet asked about photographing it in the store. Also any info on what the price of these imitations versus those of the Venetian mint would be helpful. If I have the opportunity I will ask to photograph it and will post the images here but I would like to have some more info on such coins before I do that. The store primarily deals in US but has had from time to time decent ancient and medieval coins but the proprietor is not an expert in this area of medieval coinage and neither am I. Thanks for any help.

Draft saved Draft deleted