Question about machine doubling

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Juggalo, Oct 15, 2019.

1. Juggalo

Juggalo Active Member

Machine doubling is identified by the flat shelf like doubling and the reduced size of what's being doubled right???
    "Trying to learn something new every day"

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

4. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

doubling.jpg doubling explained.jpeg
    These should help @agrace97 (for your reference as well)

agrace97 likes this.
  5. Juggalo

Juggalo Active Member

So it looks like by the graphics machine doubling does reduce the size of what's being doubled but when I read what was in Wexler's they didn't mention anything about a reduced size of what's being doubled. So I'm still confused is it reduced always or sometimes?

6. agrace97

agrace97 Member

Seattlite86 likes this.
  7. thomas mozzillo

thomas mozzillo Well-Known Member

You can ask John Wexler. His email is jwex@comcast.net.

8. Juggalo

Juggalo Active Member

Is that as in "Wexler's"??

9. Seattlite86

Machine doubling does not reduce the size of anything. The size remains the same. The doubling occurs on the same amount of space on the devices. "True" doubling or hub/die doubling increases the size of these devices.

paddyman98 likes this.
  10. Juggalo

Juggalo Active Member

Ok it just in your first graphic that shows machine doubling that the size of the L being doubled was smaller also I had thought that a couple of other members had mentioned in the past about machine doubling reduced the size but I'm old I don't always remember things as well as I use to.
    "Trying to learn something new every day to make up for what I've forgotten"

11. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

It takes time to learn these things. Be patient and keep at it. The day will come when you are correct.

agrace97 likes this.
  12. Seattlite86

Sorry for explaining it poorly. The doubling makes it look like the devices are smaller. The way I would best describe it is that if you drew an outline of the device of a machine doubled coin and one that is not doubled, the outlines should be the same. Only a hub/die doubling makes it larger. The raised portion will look like it shrank. I think that's what the photo means when it says "reduced" but that shelf-life look comes from the base of the device, which remains the same.

13. Juggalo

Juggalo Active Member

In the picture it looks like the machine doubling was made by part of the L being doubled getting flattened out reducing the original size of the L. On the hub doubling a second L was placed next to the original making it wider. So basically with machine doubling since it's not a redone die is causing the doubling by damaging the original to create the doubling right?

Seattlite86 likes this.
  14. Seattlite86

I think your explanation passes. Machine doubling is really damage.

Draft saved Draft deleted