Question about large cent.

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Johndoe2000$, Oct 22, 2016.

1. Johndoe2000$

Johndoe2000$ Well-Known Member

Hello all, recently, I picked up a large cent, ( building an affordable type set ) and noticed that there was an issue with one of the stars ( top left ). Is this a die issue or damage after minting ? I am not very knowledgeable in early American coinage, (or modern, or ancient. ) LOL. Could someone please help with educating me about this coin ? Grade, value, etc... Thanks in advance. ( tablet cam. )

John.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Johndoe2000$

( I also posted 2 coins in the what's it worth forum for more much needed help. ) I don't want to be a bother but any help would be appreciated and rewarded with good karma. Thanks.

John

4. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

Hi there, you'll need sharper images, but I'm guessing it is PMD.

Johndoe2000$ and deacon2828 like this.
  5. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

With the hit being incuse (stamped into the coin, rather than risen off of the surface), it is almost certainly just damage. There are twenty two die varieties for the date. I'm having a hard time nailing down which one your is, but none of them not that variation.

6. Johndoe2000$

I thought that incused was a strike that was pressed into the planchet, like the gold Indian coins. This coin has raised devices as most coins do. Am I wrong about this ? It looks very similar to your avatar. Anyway, here is a little better pic.( The best I can do for now. ) Thanks again.

John.

Attached Files:

7. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

I was referring to the mark on the star itself. The mark looks struck into the coin making me think that it was most likely done after it left the mint.

My aviator coin is an 1852 proof half cent. IMG_0138.JPG IMG_0139.JPG

Johndoe2000$ likes this.
  8. Johndoe2000$

Shows how much I know about early American coinage. Thanks. Super nice coin by the way.( your coin.)

Last edited: Oct 23, 2016
  9. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

I'm coming up with N-16 or N-17, but yeah, the mark on star 6 is a hit on the coin.

10. Johndoe2000$

Hello again, I started looking at 1/2 cent coins and have seen at least 3 different types. ( none were cheap for decent example. ) How many types are there ? Thanks.

John.

11. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

There are five types of half cent

capped bust facing left 1793 only
    Capped bust facing right 1794 - 1797
    Draped bust 1800 - 1808
    Classic head 1809 - 1836 1836 is proof only)
    Braided hair 1840 - 1857 (1840 - 1848 are proof only)

Decent examples of the late classic heads and braided hair can be obtained reasonably, there are a couple draped bust that aren't too expensive. The other two in decent shape are costly. (By decent I mean VF or better)

Johndoe2000$ likes this.
  12. Johndoe2000$

Thanks, I have some work to do.

John.

13. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

If you are doing the Dansco 7070 album it doesn't have the first two types in it. (It doesn't have the first three types of large cent either.)

14. Johndoe2000$

Thanks, are there any albums that have a spot for all ? (Just in case I get obsessed with completing all types. ) I am really thinking about the album's that hold the artites capsules, but they probably don't have them yet. What do you think about those ? They are a little bulkier, but they look great, and protect the coins more I think. I guess my plan is to pick up some half way decent examples, then, upgrade when possible. Thoughts???. Thanks.

John

15. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

It is never a good idea to buy a coin that you plan to upgrade, you will almost certainly lose on the transaction. Find a coin that you can be happy with and go with it the first time. I speak from experience here.

16. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

There is an old two album set of Whitman album that has holes for all of the U S type coins half cent through Silver dollar (It's the one I have, still need three half dimes, one dime, one quarter,two halves and four dollars.)

17. Johndoe2000$

Thanks for the info, I'll keep that one in mind.

18. Johndoe2000$

I am 50+ years old now, and this is my 3rd time collecting coins. The first I was pre- teen, lost interest. The 2nd time, early 20s I didn't like that I had to keep my best coins in the bank so it was a hassle to even see them, and my interests changed. This time I am only collecting coins that I like, and will not obsessively pursue all of a specific type, one good (affordable ) coin of each type is my goal, for now anyway. I have a nephew, who is showing interest in coins,( thanks to the quarter programs ) so when, and if I choose to upgrade, the old coin will go to him with the hope that he will continue collecting, and keep the hobby going for another generation, and may eventually inherit all of them. I'm trying to stay away from collecting hugely expensive coins for now because if I have to hide them in a bank or such I might as well just look at pictures of them, that costs nothing, and at least I could see them when I want. As far as collecting with the idea of investment purposes, I'll pass. I'm only collecting for my own enjoyment now, if they appreciate in value, YAY, if not, oh well.

John.

Draft saved Draft deleted