Question about Henning Nickels

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by Murillo, Aug 9, 2019.

1. Murillo

Murillo Well-Known Member

Hello everyone,
    Was going through this site reading and came across the posting on War Time Nickels. Person had a question about the 1942 no mint mark War Nickel and someone made a comment about a Henning nickel. Never heard of this before so I googled it and to be honest I still don't get it. So now decided to ask the experts about the two types of 1942 nickels, I came across these 1942 no mint mark nickels. Can someone tell me if these are Hennings or type 1 or 2? Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Henning nickels have pretty well defined markers. The only one I remember offhand is the back leg of the R having some "void" looking area.

4. derkerlegand

derkerlegand Well-Known Member

The Henning nickels were dated 1939, 1944, 1946, 1947 and 1953.

paddyman98 likes this.
  5. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I believe that @Lehigh96 and/or @Fred Weinberg can answer this for you.

Chris

Kentucky likes this.
  6. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Your two nickels are normal US minted with circulation wear.

7. kSigSteve

kSigSteve Active Member

What don’t you get about it?

No Henning counterfeits were made in 1942.

The dates are known and were mentioned a few posts above. There are also some known die markers.

8. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

9. Murillo

Murillo Well-Known Member

Did some more research and found this information. Thanks everyone for your information.
    1944 no-mint mark nickel, Henning produced five other nickel reverse dies dated 1939, 1946, 1947, and 1953. The sixth date is still a mystery. Some dates suspected for the last die are 1943, 1945 and 1951.

[​IMG]
    You can spot some of the other dates by a hole in the R of Pluribus though not all of the dies had this hole. Other tells are worn, rough surfaces with an occasional tiny raised dot or pimple. US Mint nickels won't have these. Some don't have full rims and if you're still not sure, weigh your nickel. Nickels weigh about 5 grams with slight variation. Henning nickels are slightly heavier at 5.5 grams.

Today Henning nickels are worth $20 to $30 a piece if you can find someone willing to sell theirs. If not, you can always go looking yourself, with so many unrecovered coins you may just find one or two!

Draft saved Draft deleted