Question About Grading

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by JKCoins, Jan 17, 2019.

1. JKCoins

JKCoins New Member

I was going through my collection as I just recently got back into collecting. I found what appears to be an 1871 S seated liberty quarter.

It’s not in the greatest condition, but appears to be a pretty scarce coin. I was wondering if it would be worth sending in to get graded.

I’ll include some pictures I took below.

https://imgur.com/a/FBiSaWn

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Not sure on that condition. Red Book is $900 in G-4.

4. Hookman

Hookman Well-Known Member

Are you familiar with a site called Cointrackers? For a quick reference, it's a good site.
    Here's their take on an 1871 S Seated Liberty Quarter. Just be aware that the reverse of yours is not that good.
    Other members will have better, and more, information.

Please feel free to come back and post photos and ask questions.

Welcome to Coin Talk !!
    1871-s-liberty-seated-quarter

JCKTJK likes this.
  5. JKCoins

JKCoins New Member

Thanks. Yeah I know the reverse is in pretty rough shape. I was just wondering if it would be worth grading simply because of it’s scarcity.

6. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

It is a 71 S, but I suspect it will come back as a details coin , not straight grade. Still it may be worthwhile just for the authentication.

-jeffB likes this.
  7. Hookman

JK, in that condition, and especially with what could be considered damage on the reverse, the TPGs may actually refuse to grade it, and simply put it in a slab marked ungradable. That's a chance you take. Other members are more knowledgeable about what your grading possibilities are.

Collecting Nut's estimate of G4 is probably accurate given the condition and possible damage, however, I have found , over time, that the Red Book's catalogue values are somewhat high, sometimes 2x high.
    If you take half of the RB's value ($450.00) and average it with Cointracker's value ($222.00) you get $336.00 which, in my mind, is a very fair place to start with an estimate of value that you could actually get.

Other members will of course have other thoughts. Please get those other opinions of value and grading in hand before making any decisions.

edit : that darn autocorrect was at it again.

8. JKCoins

JKCoins New Member

Thanks for the advice. I’m hoping to get some opinions from people more experienced with grading than myself. From what I’ve heard, EBay is the most accurate source for pricing?

9. JKCoins

JKCoins New Member

Thanks for the input. That was my main goal for grading was the authentication, but I was just worried it might be ungradable.

10. Hookman

Not necessarily at all. eBay can be considered as 1 source and that's about it. When you check items on eBay, be sure to check the completed listings for prices on the same or very similar items that actually sold.
    Seeing an item on eBay being offered for $1000.00 tells you nothing.
    Finding that the item actually sold for $100.00 tells you a lot.

Beyond that, there are many real Numismatists right here on Coin Talk !! who are more than qualified to give you an estimate of grade and value, with excellent advice about how to go about realizing that coin's greatest potential.

11. JKCoins

JKCoins New Member

Oh, I know that current listings aren’t an accurate source, i was referring to sold. Thanks though, I appreciate all of the help and info

12. Hookman

YW. Please come back with any questions about any coins or currency.
    Don't hesitate to post pix of your own coin collection.
    Thanks again.

13. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

They don't use slabbed marked ungradable. Basically as long as it can be authenticated it will be in a slab. If they cannot confirm it as authentic or believe it is a counterfeit it will come back in a flip saying so. A real 1871-S quarter would be worth the authentication is any grade

mikenoodle likes this.
  14. Hookman

I've actually seen slabs marked " Ungradable ". So have other Coin Talk !! members.

But I get your point otherwise.

15. JKCoins

JKCoins New Member

Yeah, that’s my main goal for getting it graded. I’d be stoked to get a g4, but even just getting it authenticated would be awesome considering I got it for under $30 at at coin shop about 6 years ago. Don’t know how they didn’t realize it was an S

16. Hookman

[​IMG]

" NOT GRADABLE " and " UNGRADABLE " mean the same thing. Let's not split hairs over grammar.

17. Hookman

WOW , what an awesome deal !!

18. JKCoins

JKCoins New Member

I know right. I got a couple pretty good deals from dealers mislabeling their stuff. Never noticed them until a while after though.

19. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Pcgs details graded slabs do say that yes. That’s different than not gradeable at all. Wasn’t trying to play a grammar game at all

Hookman likes this.
  20. Hookman

I forget things all the time. You probably just forgot that they say that at times.
    No game at all. We're on the same team.

21. Hookman

Actually, I look for stuff like that. and buy it. Unless it's a seller who is an "eBay friend", then I tell them about it.

For example, I had bid on a "Short Snorter" war time Japanese currency bill. I've known this seller for so long and trust him so much that I just always put a quick bid on every thing he sells. Later, when I took a closer look at the bill, I noticed that it wasn't just a typical Short Snorter. It was a Japanese bill in CU condition with the autograph of a famous bandleader, musician and comedian who traveled during WW II to entertain the troops.
    His name is Kay Kyser. Most modern folk have never heard of him, but you can google his name and find out who he is/was.
    Needless to say, as soon as I realized what the bill was, I messaged my seller friend and told him about it.

Draft saved Draft deleted