Question about graded 1895 o morgan

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Mr. Cartwheel, Nov 16, 2016.

1. Hommer

Hommer Curator of Semi Precious Coinage

Please elaborate. Vamworld list 2 reverse dies, C3a and C3b. Help me out here.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

I believe your question was answered sufficiently in Post#14. The reverses you list are major variations. At the moment VAM World lists 6 (not 3) different 1895-O combinations. IMO, there will be more found in the future.

4. Hommer

They list 6 variations but 5 of those have the same reverse, and one a second. There were only 5 dies of each ever produced, with no proof all were used.

5. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

Think DIE PAIRS w/date and mint mark positions!

BAD Example to end this: All Lincoln Memorial cents have BASICALLY the same reverse. Lincoln researchers can break them down further as the Morgan researchers have. You'll figure it out. ;)

6. Hommer

I am thinking die pairs. There were 5 reverse dies produced, of which only 2 have been identified as being used and paired with 5 obverse. If I am wrong, someone please clarify, as I am eager to learn something here.

7. Hommer

It wouldn't be the first time someone swapped the original coin in a authentic slab. The grade doesn't come close to matching the coin, first red flag, not that TPG's don't make mistakes, but this one ain't fooling nobody.

Draft saved Draft deleted