Question about Ebay cancellation request

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by TaborTot22, Jun 16, 2022.

1. TaborTot22

TaborTot22 Well-Known Member

I have a number of things up for auction online

I have the 2017 US Silver Proof Set listed but it is incomplete (missing the cent and the half dollar). I have explicitly stated this in the title, description and the pictures are of the Nickel, Dime and Dollar Coin in a 2x2 cardboard flip. It's obvious it's incomplete. (See below)
    upload_2022-6-16_12-42-52.png

A buyer just bought it through Buy It Now feature, paid for the item and has sent a cancellation request. I reached out to the buyer to ask the reason for the request and the buyer responded with:

Thought I was buying a complete set. My fault that I didn't read the title correctly. If you wish, send it on, but I will never buy from you again.

Question: Should I refund the payment? Will I end up losing money on the deal if refund due to the ebay fees? If I end up denying the request and send the item, is the risk of negative feedback worth it? Thoughts and suggestions would be appreciated.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 16, 2022
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. buddy16cat

buddy16cat Well-Known Member

I would just cancel. You won't have to pay Ebay fees I think.

Cliff Reuter, imrich and TaborTot22 like this.
  4. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

With an attitude like that, I'd expect the "buyer" to file a not-as-described claim if you do send it, in which case eBay will likely side with the buyer no matter how bogus the claim.

I'd read the Terms and Conditions, and possibly call support to see if a "buyer remorse" cancellation leaves you on the hook for fees.

Kentucky and TaborTot22 like this.
  5. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Just cancel the transaction. It’s not worth the time or the trouble.

6. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Send it to him.......who cares if he doesn't buy from you again.

7. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Oops .......yeah,right. Dissregard my above post.

8. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

This calls for biological warfare. Rub the coins between your butt cheeks and send them.

9. robbudo

robbudo Indian Error Collector

i believe if the transaction is cancelled, there can be no feedback for the transaction. If you go through and rightfully make them take what they bought, they might leave you negative feedback.

Revello, Cliff Reuter, imrich and 2 others like this.
  10. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

And your shameless advertisement will be edited out, most likely.

11. -jeffB

[moot]

Last edited: Jun 16, 2022
  12. TaborTot22

Edited. Thanks for the heads up.

Revello and -jeffB like this.
  13. TaborTot22

Update: Ebay policy states that they still will acquire the seller fee ($7.48) but it will come out of the refunded money. The buyer paid $54.98 (item+shipping+tax) but will only be refunded $47.50 ($54.98 minus seller fee). I have sent a message to the buyer making him aware of this before I refund the money. The buyer only has a feedback score of 20 so wasn't sure if he was aware (I have 421 and I didn't know lol). Once I hear confirmation from the buyer either way, I will follow through accordingly.

Cliff Reuter likes this.
  14. ziggy9

ziggy9 *NEC SPERNO NEC TIMEO*

I would refund the money AND tell him you don't want him buying from you again. you don't need the hassle.

15. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

Let us know how it turns out.

john-charles likes this.
  16. Histman

Histman Too Many Coins, Not Enough Time!

You can bar him from bidding on future items. There is a function for that in the seller section of your account.

17. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

You dont say anything to them. NOTHING positive can come from telling them that. You just quietly block them and move on

serafino, Dynoking, imrich and 3 others like this.
  18. -jeffB

REALLY! I'm stunned. This is the first time in ages that I've heard of eBay taking any stance other than "the buyer is always right".

19. TaborTot22

I was surprised too. Unless I'm reading this wrong.
    upload_2022-6-16_15-14-10.png

Attached Files:

20. TaborTot22

Don't worry, I wouldn't blatantly say something to them like that.

21. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

The buyers getting a full refund. eBays payment system will keep their 2.5% fee or whatever they charge now but the buyer gets all the money back hence the total refund to the buyer is the total of everything. The breakdown is just showing what will be taken directly from you and the ebay fees you were charged already will cover the rest

Draft saved Draft deleted