Question about denarii

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by tartanhill, Dec 19, 2019.

1. tartanhill

tartanhill Well-Known Member

Two recent Roma auctions offered the two denarii below.

[​IMG]

Cornucopiae (first) series AR Denarius. Rome, 207 BC. Helmeted head of Roma right; X (mark of value) behind / The Dioscuri, each holding spear, on horseback to right, two stars above; cornucopiae below horses, ROMA in exergue. Crawford 58/2; BMCRR Rome 419; RSC 20h. 4.04g, 20mm, 7h.

Price realized: 1100 GBP

[​IMG]

Crescent (first) series AR Denarius. Rome, 207 BC. Head of Roma right, wearing winged helmet ornamented with griffin's head; X behind / The Dioscuri on horseback to right, each holding couched spear; crescent above; ROMA in relief in linear frame below. Crawford 57/2; Sydenham 265; RSC 20i. 4.53g, 20mm, 11h.

Price realized: 1800 GBP

My question concerns the word (first) in the descriptions. They both went for prices way beyond what I would have expected, so they must be special. In what way were they (first), and is that why they were bid up so high?

Roman Collector likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. red_spork

red_spork Triumvir monetalis

They are both relatively common late Second Punic War denarii. Both are nice but the prices strike me as excessive, especially for the first which has a pretty nasty crack. They are both available in high grade and nice examples come up multiple times per year, usually cheaper, so I can't explain what happened with these. Here's my example of the crescent type. The surfaces aren't great but it was almost an order of magnitude cheaper at around $250+fees
    20160418164108-703d110b-me.jpg

ominus1, Volodya, Orielensis and 5 others like this.
  4. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

I don't really know, but, when in doubt about sky high auction prices, just remember it only takes 2 bidiots to send the price through the roof.

ominus1, cmezner and Sallent like this.
  5. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

Wow, that's a nasty...

rockoplumber_5140.png

on that first one. Definitely not worth more than $120 in my opinion with such a nasty and clearly unstable...

19976905_l.jpg

Roman Collector likes this.
  6. ro1974

ro1974 Well-Known Member

wow great coins no doubt about it, more then 1000 euro?

7. akeady

akeady Well-Known Member

The answer to your question about "(first)" is that the symbols in question were used for more than one series of coins and these examples are from the earliest issue. The Crescent is on Crawford 57 of 207BC and Crawford 137 of 194-190BC (and indeed Crawford 212 of ca. 155-149BC, though just asses in that issue), while the Cornucopiae symbol is on Crawford 58 of 207BC and Crawford 157 of 179-170BC.

ATB,
    Aidan.

Volodya, cmezner, Bing and 5 others like this.
  8. tartanhill

Thank you for your explanation, but would that give them added value and warrant the prices fetched?

9. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 Well-Known Member

They are practically FDC

10. akeady

akeady Well-Known Member

No - in fact, in these cases, the second crescent and cornucopiae issues are scarcer, going by the number of dies estimated.

They're very nice coins, people can get carried away at auctions, that explains the prices :D

ATB,
    Aidan.

Volodya, Paul M. and cmezner like this.
  11. tartanhill

OK. Thanks, Aidan

12. CoinBlazer

CoinBlazer Numismatic Enthusiast

Usually for a coin to qualify as such, the coin must be well centered. Neither of which is. The 1st has a major crack and the second has some rough planchet issues at 7 o'clock. I would not agree with your grade...

Volodya likes this.
  13. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 Well-Known Member

At least EF, but grading ancients is subjective. They are both beautiful coins, even with the issues mentioned and at least 2 other persons thought so too.

14. CoinBlazer

CoinBlazer Numismatic Enthusiast

Absolutely, I'm not intending to downplay the immense quality of the coin, however by the standard I learned, it couldn't be considered FDC, doesn't mean it isn't a great coin still.

15. rrdenarius

rrdenarius non omnibus dormio Supporter

Coins at auction sell for several times their estimate when more than one person with pockets deep enough wants a coin. I found the Cr 58 auction. The coin went for 2.4 times estimate. My #1 coin this year went for 1.8 times estimate and the coin one lot earlier went for 3.3 times estimate. The final price at auction is a bit like tossing astragalus.
    astragalos painted from BM.jpg

ominus1 and Jay GT4 like this.
  16. Terence Cheesman

Terence Cheesman Well-Known Member

I cannot comment on the Crawford 58/2 coin but the Crawford 57/2 is an ex RBW coin which is plated No 218 in the book The RBW Collection published in 2013. That may have had an influence on those who were bidding on it.

ominus1, red_spork and Paul M. like this.
  17. red_spork

red_spork Triumvir monetalis

That certainly helps explain it. I didn't look that bit up but that sort of provenance goes a long way these days.

18. JohnnyC

JohnnyC Active Member

Could I ask where the image of the astragal weight comes from?

Ross G.

19. rrdenarius

rrdenarius non omnibus dormio Supporter

ominus1 likes this.
  20. Yorkshire

Yorkshire Well-Known Member

Id rather have sporks and save £800-1600

ominus1 likes this.
  21. Fugio1

Fugio1 Well-Known Member

It's interesting to note that both of these coins were sold only a few months earlier in NAC auction 114, May 6-7, lots 383 and 383. The cornucopia coin realized CHF 300 and the crescent hammered for 800 (less than the 950 it realized in the RBW NAC 61 sale).

Both of these (first) issues from the late 3rd century are considerably more common than the later early 2nd century cornucopia and crescent issues, but the style of these early issues are a bit more appealing (to me at least). Attached are examples of the (later) crescent and cornucopia issues, RRC 137/1 and RRC 157/1.

The early 58/2 (cornucopia) issue is one of the more delightfully rendered issues of these early anonymous coins, but it is very frequently found in high grade as is this one. The rarity of the finest known of even the most common series is very high, but although superb, neither of these coins are the finest known specimens. As @Terence Cheesman suggested, the NAC 61 (RBW) pedigree probably had a lot to do with the ultimate hammer price.

As suggested, obviously there were at least two bidders who wanted these two high grade example now, rather than waiting for subsequent sales.

Attached Files:

Carthago, akeady and Volodya like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted