Question about Daniel Carr offerings

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by davidh, Dec 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Andy Herkimer

Andy Herkimer Active Member

They could start with the Dansco 7070 before they move on to fantasy coins lol.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Dibs on 1964.

Golden age, Paul M. and Johndoe2000$ like this.
  4. Johndoe2000$

Johndoe2000$ Well-Known Member

Legal question, what would be the issues, if you actually struck the obverse of one coin, with the reverse of a different coin ?

Golden age and Andy Herkimer like this.
  5. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Goldie boy, your mind is more scrambled than the eggs I just had.

Coinchemistry 2012 likes this.
  6. This thread must stop exactly at post 1964.

7. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Mint to demand. Wouldn't want to fuel demand with an artificial shortage. ;)

8. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

These things fit right in with all the other fake stuff that's already out there.

Coinchemistry 2012 likes this.
  9. Coinchemistry 2012

Coinchemistry 2012 Well-Known Member

Yet there are multiple federal appeals court decisions applying the federal counterfeiting statutes to numismatic coins. See, e.g., Yeatts, finding the counterfeiting of U.S. gold coins (this is before the U.S. issued bullion or the modern gold commemoratives) to run afoul of 18 U.S.C. 485.

Johndoe2000$ likes this.
  10. Golden age

Golden age Go for the gold

See post #875. If the horseshoe fist, wear it.
    P.S. I saw you admiring my 64 peace dollar, but I won't tell anyone.

Johndoe2000$ likes this.
  11. Coinchemistry 2012

Coinchemistry 2012 Well-Known Member

This is a very interesting question, and this specific fact pattern/context has yet to appear in the case law, but mules obviously do exist and are considered rare coins. The question in a counterfeiting context is a factual one and ultimately comes down to whether it meets the resemblance/similitude test articulated before as found by the judge/jury in that case. It ultimately comes down to the fact finder of that case. As for the HPA, it would depend on how closely Delmarco is followed. If the inscriptions/denomination in Delmarco were enough, it would seem that mule pieces would still be imitation numismatic items and be required to be marked.

So far, the closest the case law has come to addressing error/variety coins is in finding that counterfeit 1942/1 Mercury Dimes and 1969 Doubled Die Cents violate 18 U.S.C. 485 (and section 490 for the cent). This case, U.S. v. Goodman, 457 F.2d 68 (9th Cir. 1972) is readily distinguishable in that the coins still look like (in terms of both obverse and reverse images) generic Mercury Dimes and normal Lincoln Cents save for the variety.

Edited to add: Interestingly, the 9th circuit also rejected a challenge to the trial court's jury instruction that the question of whether any 1969 cents had ever been validly issued by the Mint was not important to the counterfeiting statute. The 9th circuit found that whether any 1969 DDO cents was validly issued by the Mint was irrelevant.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2016
    Johndoe2000$ and Golden age like this.
  12. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Give it up. Don't you have a life? You are averaging 4-5 posts per page on a 50 page thread and it's all the same incorrect interpretations, assumptions and personal conjecture. No tree to put up, no gifts to wrap? Wonder why.

13. Andy Herkimer

The peace dollar is nice, better than the originals. I have only one peace dollar in high grade and even on that the relief is just so low. Perhaps we can overstrike them all then I would start on a set.

14. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Why don't you give it up and stop with the insulting post. Stop with the personal stuff and stay on topic.

15. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

What topic? Is there something new?

16. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

Golden age and Paul M. like this.
  17. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

There are those that appreciate Dcarr's production. There are others who do not. If it was a straight and clear distinction, there would be little or no discussion. No more repeated cheerleading nor repeated argumentation. Eventually only a court will make it further clear. I will not list names of the 2 sides, but having read each post, I am aware of who they are, I will just give a time out if I find it is just trashtalk. Understand!! If you want to say something, read the WHOLE thread before posting, but no more duplicate argumentations or cheerleading. I suspect some will be tempted to do so, but you may be missing a while or more. Happy Holidays!!

18. Andy Herkimer

IMG_1470.JPG

Attached Files:

dwhiz likes this.
  19. Andy Herkimer

Now if you want to talk beasts....
    IMG_1472.JPG IMG_1478.JPG

dwhiz likes this.
  20. desertgem

Andy, I meant it about the post I removed!

Insider likes this.
  21. desertgem

I think both sides of the discussion had many repeats of salient views and further comments are just re-runs. There is plenty of room at partisanlines.com to discuss fanclubs or legal thoughts. Thanks Jim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.