Question about Daniel Carr offerings

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by davidh, Dec 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

I was joking

Andy Herkimer likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

His panda is awesome. It speaks volumes in one simple image. I don't have one yet but it is certainly on my list

4. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

I had one and sold it for a profit. That's the good thing about buying his stuff, it's easy to flip and turn a profit. Now, who don't like to turn a profit? Talk about profit, t 146.gif he 1964 Peace Dollars, I bought my house with the profit! J/K laughhard.gif And ppl was talking about them for months upon months! 143.gif

5. Coinchemistry 2012

Coinchemistry 2012 Well-Known Member

I may research this more thoroughly if I have time later as the case law is sparse, and I would caution against over relying on it. To be clear, this is intended solely as an academic discussion and not advice. It is not meant to be exhaustive. Many federal judges are loathe to over rely on legislative history especially when other canons of interpretation may provide different results. I found only one case as to 18 U.S.C. 485:

In United States v. Falvey, 676 F.2d 871 (1st Cir. 1982), the First Circuit interpreted the second paragraph of 18 U.S.C. 485 as applied to foreign coins to contain the same limitations as the first, specifically with regards to a foreign coin being current in the United States or in actual use/circulation. Relying on legislative history, it did find that South African Krugerrands do not fall within the ambit of 18 U.S.C. 485 even though it was the current coinage of South Africa.

@dcarr @Andy Herkimer

With that said, you still must still contend with 18 U.S.C. 489. Interestingly, with the latter, it has been interpreted to apply only to currently existing countries and governments. See U.S. v. Gertz, 249 F.2d 662 (9th Cir. 1957). Using the rationale of Gertz, the 1949 date for China would seem meaningful. Here is the text of 18 U.S.C. 489:

Whoever, within the United States, makes or ... possesses with intent to sell, give away, or in any other manner uses the same, except under authority of the Secretary of the Treasury... any token, disk, or device in the likeness or similitude as to design, color, or the inscription thereon of any of the coins of the United States or of any foreign country issued as money, either under the authority of the United States or under the authority of any foreign government shall be fined under this title.

And of course, you must still contend with the Hobby Protection Act, 15 U.S.C. 2101, et seq. The FTC rules contemplate foreign coins, and of the three court/commission opinions addressing the issue, two of them have included foreign issues.

Good night!

Andy Herkimer, Golden age and Paul M. like this.
  6. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

That is actually pretty interesting, and almost worth slogging through 50 pages of the same old arguments to get to. If the theory implied by your analysis is correct, it would not be considered counterfeiting per se to make fake ancient coins (although it would violate the HPA if the pieces were not properly marked).

7. Coinchemistry 2012

Coinchemistry 2012 Well-Known Member

While the coins in Gertz were those from Hawaii prior to its acquisition/annexation, it does specifically discuss ancient coins in the opinion and states that such a broad interpretation would raise constitutional questions.

Paul M. likes this.
  8. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

Even more interesting. I haven't yet read the decision, but I may have to look it up tomorrow. :)

9. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Yeah, but some of it is really, really good original material -- witness the posts immediately preceding this one. I'm not leaving while there's stuff like this showing up. :)

Paul M. and Johndoe2000$ like this.
  10. Golden age

Golden age Go for the gold

Only 11 to go.

Paul M. and Johndoe2000$ like this.
  11. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Meaningless and the same old drivel. That is to prosecute someone attempting to create their own currency or cointerfit authentic currency for use in commerce. Not for someone altering existing coins with non-fraudulent fantasy dates for novelty purposes.

Johndoe2000$ and Golden age like this.
  12. Golden age

DSC_3081.JPG mm_100_1964d_obv.1.jpg [ATTACH=f

What?

13. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

You have a 64d Peace? I only have the 65d :(

The 3 top pieces on my list that I don't have yet are the 64d Peace, the 2009 "Proofed" Silver Eagle (die pair 2 with thick DC mark), and the 2012 Panda.

Paul M., Golden age and Johndoe2000$ like this.
  14. Golden age

Yes, but the reverse on my peace seems a little off. Maybe just my imagination.

15. bdunnse

bdunnse Who dat?

So who is going to start producing counterfeit Dansco Albums to hold all these fantasies?

Golden age and Johndoe2000$ like this.
  16. Johndoe2000$

Johndoe2000$ Well-Known Member

Made in China.

Golden age likes this.
  17. Johndoe2000$

Johndoe2000$ Well-Known Member

I need that 09 also. Might as well figure around $400 to be safe.

Paul M. and Golden age like this.
  18. Golden age

Same here, I saw one one EBAY last night, can't remember how much though. I suppose someone that doesn't know it's not a real S.A.E. Will get it.

Johndoe2000$ likes this.
  19. Blissskr

Blissskr Well-Known Member

The program has been suspended over a year now, after an initial suspension in 2015 of six months. Then in April 2016 with a renewal notice they suspended it indefinitely. There was a public comment period which expired last month I believe November 15th. Ironically enough it was suspended because Chinese importers were apparently shipping in counterfeit mutilated coins for redemption.

Johndoe2000$ likes this.
  20. Golden age

Let's get it over with

Johndoe2000$ likes this.
  21. Golden age

Johndoe2000$ and Paul M. like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.