Question about Daniel Carr offerings

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by davidh, Dec 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. davidh

davidh soloist gnomic

One of the selling points for Carr's offerings is that they are over-stamped on original type coins. Why is this a plus? What difference would there be if he used fresh blanks?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Evan8

Evan8 A Little Off Center

Oh boy. Opening another can of worms here. I would try to explain it based on what Mr Carr has said on here, as well as all the legal crap that has been argued on here. However, somone will call someone else stupid and a bunch of bickering will ensue. Maybe PM @dcarr

4. Johndoe2000$

Johndoe2000$ Well-Known Member

Smart, safe reply.

Golden age and Amos 811 like this.
  5. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Just read basically any thread where someone shows off one of his over strikes. They all basically go on for 10-15+ pages and say exactly the same things

Last edited: Dec 8, 2016
    Golden age, Cascade, Rassi and 6 others like this.
  6. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

Perhaps it is as simple as: "That is the easiest way to get a ready-made planchet.":D

7. rooman9

rooman9 Lovin Shiny Things

I just noticed that everyone refers to Dan Carrs as "offerings." I wonder why? When I think of offerings its like a sacrifice ;)

8. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

He does sacrifice actual coins to mint his overstrikes.

9. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

If he does not use worn dollars (F-VF) destined for the melt pot and super cheap, he's loosing easy profits.

Paul M. likes this.
  10. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

He's said a bunch of times they're common date culls/worn/cleaned ect. Its never anything of significant numismatic value

Paul M. and Kirkuleez like this.
  11. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

How do you know he's not?

Coinchemistry 2012 likes this.
  12. Evan8

Because on a lot of his pieces, they show "ghosting" or details of the host coin.

13. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Oh really? Then back to the original question, I guess, what's the difference? People strike tokens, and those are on fresh blanks. It must be an economic rather than legal issue? I don't know.

14. Evan8

I dont know either. All I do know is these threads end up with the same arguement everytime

15. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

The claim is that, since he's altering existing coins of the same denomination instead of striking new ones from blanks, there's no sense in which he is "counterfeiting" US coins.

Cascade likes this.
  16. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

I'd think the legal questions would be the same whether he starts with fresh blanks or defaced blanks (defaced coins, turning them into blanks). That makes me think it's just cheaper the way he does it.

17. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Oh.

18. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

He's at least not adding to the money supply like that, that I get.

green18 likes this.
  19. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

What a dread there.......

20. ddddd

ddddd Member

It's similar to hobo nickels...why do people prefer those than the same design made on a fresh blank? It likely has something to do with the originality of the host coin or it's just some legal thing...

Cascade likes this.
  21. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

I think there's also a little legacy to the art as well. By taking something existing that has a little history in it and making it new again...it just adds to the story of the art. That's my opinion anyway (legal stuff aside).

Dave Waterstraat, ddddd and Cascade like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.