Question about color toned coins

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Diogenes Diaz, May 14, 2020.

1. Diogenes Diaz

Diogenes Diaz Active Member

I found a few beautifully toned pennies and I was asked if it was a natural?That question made wonder if there is a way to artificially tone a coin?If So how? And how can I tell the difference?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

By color. Some look very obvious for AF and some it is very hard to tell.

4. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

5. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

Most toning that you see occurs naturally. A few cents on the dashboard in the summer sun for example. They can tone in any of a number of ways. Heat exposure, liquid, old soda in the bottom of your cup holder..... And yes, there has been quite a market recently of folks artificially toning old coins and selling them for wild premiums. I believe they use a method of nitrogen exposure on them. These are usually wild purplish colors. Not my cup of tea at all. But they are out there.

6. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

The Cents have a copper coating. It's thin but it's copper and copper reacts to the environment. It will tone naturally. Place them in the sun or a very warm area. They can also be artificially toned. Just pee on one and wait. Vaseline and an oven. There are other ways but I think you get the idea.

Diogenes Diaz likes this.
  7. Diogenes Diaz

Diogenes Diaz Active Member

Thanks guys--peeing on them

Kentucky likes this.
  8. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Lol but it does color them.

Diogenes Diaz likes this.
  9. Phil's Coins

Phil's Coins Well-Known Member

Maybe I am old fashioned BUT - AT (artificial toning) is just that ARTIFICIAL! If you are doing it for yourself fine but there are some CROOKS on the nationally used site for buying and selling, that do it for profit, it is just plain wrong. I recently acquired a very substantial collection of Unopened Uncirculated Mint Sets and am having a ball going through them. Several toned coins so far much of it due to the material used to package the coins (earlier cellophane) had some harmful oils in it and that caused toning. Other causes were pin pricks in the cellophane that allowed air to get to the coins. Just be truthful in your dealings with other people and you will be fine. Semper Fi

10. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

I think crook is a bit harsh. They are preforming and providing a viable service to those that are in need of colorful coins. If there is no demand there is no service.
    It reminds me of those people that sell books with blank pages.:bucktooth:

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  11. Phil's Coins

Phil's Coins Well-Known Member

IF A COIN IS ARTIFICIALLY TONED/COLORED/ALTERED - The seller should note it in the description, it it is not described as such I stand by my statement "CROOK" all he or she is attempting to do is relieve you of your hard earned money. Semper Fi.

alurid likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted