Question about Athens tets

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by tartanhill, Dec 7, 2019.

1. tartanhill

tartanhill Well-Known Member

Can anyone direct me to a site that explains the different Starr Groups for the Athens tetradrachms? Thanks.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. pprp

pprp Well-Known Member

happy_collector likes this.
  4. happy_collector

happy_collector Well-Known Member

Thanks for the CNG links, @pprp. I agree that most auctioneers incorrectly classify the Starr numbers. I saw last week an Owl tet being incorrectly classified as Group III by Heritage. The spiral palmette is pointing down to the ear (Group V) instead of the olive leaf on helmet (Group III). Plus Athena's hair is not the archaic type.

5. tartanhill

tartanhill Well-Known Member

Thanks, pprp. I am confused about the three separate tail feathers that are all common to the above four groups. I have seen many Athens tets without the separation of the tail feathers that have been listed as groups 4 or 5. Is this just a case, as has been mentioned, of the auction not getting the description correct?

6. pprp

pprp Well-Known Member

I know what you mean.These are not groups 4 or 5. The general hypothesis is that they appeared just after the Starr V and before the mass coinage.

Eg this one sold as group IV which is a bad joke as Athena's hair at the forehead is not curly

https://coins.ha.com/itm/ancients/g...-ngc-choice-auand-9733-5-5-5-5/a/3074-30010.s

So I dont think HA do it on purpose but there are others who do it fraudulently to trick buyers

Draft saved Draft deleted