Question About ANACS

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Santinidollar, May 28, 2016.

1. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

I never have purchased an ANACS slabbed coin. However, one caught my eye tonight with a reliable dealer. It is slabbed in a small white holder.

I looked around and apparently ANACS used those holders for quite a few years, but haven't for some time.

Can anyone give advice on whether the posted grade can be deemed solid as compared with NGC and PCGS. I have done a bit of work on the pictures myself and I find the grade hard to argue with.

Thanks in advance to all.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

I consider the small white holders essentially equivalent to modern PCGS or NGC.

Cascade, Paddy54, dwhiz and 3 others like this.
  4. Santinidollar

Thanks Paul!

Paul M. likes this.
  5. Paul M.

You're quite welcome. I love interesting holders you don't see every day. I'd probably buy a seriously overgraded ANA slab as an exonumia item if I found one and the price was reasonable.

Cascade and jester3681 like this.
  6. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

Honestly, I have had a few gold indians graded at both NGC and ANACS, and they have consistently graded lower at ANACS. I have zero isssues with the quality of the grading there.

Santinidollar and Paul M. like this.
  7. Santinidollar

8. TJ1952

TJ1952 Well-Known Member

Did the slab look like this? I kinda like these little white slabs.

S20160212_001.jpg

9. Paul M.

How cute. FSB on a proof. :)

10. Santinidollar

11. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

The yellow anacs holders are so ugly you almost gotta crack them out

12. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

You can do that just by squeezing them in your hand.

I think the small white holders were discontinued about 2008 or so.

Chris

Santinidollar likes this.
  13. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

What Paul means is, "Oops!" :)

Paul M. likes this.
  14. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

I would agree 100% and might add sometimes hold nice surprises.

fish4uinmd, rzage, Paul M. and 2 others like this.
  15. TJ1952

TJ1952 Well-Known Member

Yes, they just don't look as professional as the other guys!

16. ksparrow

ksparrow Coin Hoarder Supporter

I would say, as always, it depends on the coin. Just as with OGHs and NGC fattys, many of the best coins in the SMHs have been cracked and submitted to pcgs/ngc for higher grades. As to "solid" grading, did you see my 1846 dollar thread?

17. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

When it comes to grading - sometimes they will cross, sometimes up-grade, sometimes down-grade.

There are several different generations of the ANACS small white slabs just like there are different generations of the other TPG slabs. And each generation usually has its own grading peculiarities. In other words, the grading is more lenient in some than others.

18. chascat

chascat Well-Known Member

I like the old "soap bar" holders...It seems like many of the coins are under graded in these. Many will grade a point higher if submitted. These used to be the norm, but now they are sought by many collectors as they become harder to find.

19. David Setree Rare Coins

David Setree Rare Coins Well-Known Member

For the most part, I have found ANACS grading to be as solid as the other big two. They just don't have recognition in the marketplace. For authentication and for most all coins that aren't price/grade sensitive, they are great. (Translation: Don't expect to get MS70 money for a ANACS MS70 coin.)

TJ1952 likes this.
  20. chascat

chascat Well-Known Member

Last year I bought a set of 2014 50th aviv. high relief Kennedys in the new UGLY ANACS holders. They are graded ms69. They appear almost flawless... I think they would grade 68, but I only paid 66-67 prices. If I were to try to crossover, these might be a good try...Just to see them in NGC holders would be a thrill.

21. Andrew Snovell

Andrew Snovell Active Member

That's something you don't see on a Proof coin very often. LOL!

Paul M. likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted