Question About a Sheet for the Obsolete Collectors Out There

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by goincarcrazy, Jul 25, 2015.

1. goincarcrazy

goincarcrazy Spends His Money On Money

About 5 years ago now, I came across this sheet in an antique store. It is an uncut sheet (2 $2's and 2 $3's) from the Merchant's Bank of Jackson County, Brooklyn Michigan. From what I've gathered, this isn't the earlier 1830's/1840's issue, but is the issue that can only be found as remainders (never issued, unsigned and undated unless falsely filled in). Condition appears to be XF/AU or so with 3 light creases where it was folded in quarters at one point. Back when I got them, a member here, gsalexan helped me out by recommending using the public library to find the "Standard Catalog of United States Obsolete Bank Notes 1782-1866" but the Jacksonville Library system couldn't do that, and besides past auctions (and there's not many) I simply don't know where to look for info or a value for this series of notes. So I ask all you obsolete buffs out there, if you have a chance, what do any of your books say on this series? Any references I should try to look for online? ANY help is much appreciated!

[​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

4. goincarcrazy

Heritage had 1 sheet exactly like this that they auctioned but I only found it with weird search terms one day. In the description it mentioned it may be the only one in existence. Obviously not since I have a second, but I can't imagine they're common. It had $1000 on it but listed as either did not sell or reserve not met or something like that. I haven't looked at comparables on heritage lately so thank you for that link!

5. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

I would put it on eBay with a $100,000 price tag and see if it sells.

I love the graphics!

goincarcrazy likes this.
  6. goincarcrazy

Yeah, I suppose the worst that could happen is everyone in the world says no...haha

7. goincarcrazy

8. Endeavor

Endeavor Well-Known Member

$100,000 with make offer. I mean who knows how much this is worth... nobody does.

9. gsalexan

gsalexan Intaglio aficionado

It really is a beautiful sheet. I still think the Standard Catalog is your best bet for information. As it happens, Krause Publications has released individual sections of the catalog by state. The Michigan section can now be downloaded for $15. You can order it here.

10. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

I have no idea what it's worth, but if I were a currency collector, I'd jump on it in a second. I grew up not far from there.

11. Endeavor

Endeavor Well-Known Member

Duuude! That would ruin its condition!

phankins11 likes this.
  12. mac266

mac266 Well-Known Member

I'm not a paper guy, but if you join the ANA you can use their library for the cost of shipping the books!

gsalexan likes this.
  13. Evan8

Evan8 A Little Off Center

14. swamp yankee

swamp yankee Well-Known Member

Great graphics!(grew up in printing family) always loved the old time styles type setting methods.....

15. TradingGreen

TradingGreen Active Member

This sheet is listed in Haxby for $375 in Unc. The copyright on the Haxby set of books was 1988. The prices were set at that time based on the current known or guessed inventory. Prices could go up or down depending on demand and new finds. You are right that these particular notes are only shown as remainders.

Rich

16. phankins11

phankins11 Well-Known Member

roflmao.gif

Sorry that made me laugh...

@goincarcrazy that is a beautiful sheet, I dig those rough edges

Endeavor likes this.
  17. goincarcrazy

Sorry for the delayed reply to everyone (my email stopped sending me notification of replies) but thanks for the compliments on the sheet! It was one of 2 sheets in an antique store display (one of the employee's booth, he has an eye for good stuff!). I took pics, researched and found this one was pretty scarce even as single notes, so I went back and snatched it. All my family lives up in Michigan as well so that helped. @TradingGreen , I'm very happy to know I paid well less than the 1988 book value, thank you for that information. Can I ask what a common value for a sheet is in that same book just to get an idea of approximate rarity?

18. TradingGreen

TradingGreen Active Member

Searching through beginning of the Michigan section, the prices for those banks that have known uncut sheets, range from $45 to $1000. The majority of those were 250 to 375. Unfortunately this is far from scientific reasoning as I'm sure you understand.

Rich ...... Down the road a piece near Ocala.

19. goincarcrazy

Well that's a good little tidbit to know, thanks @TradingGreen! I understand its a very unscientific method which doesn't account for imagry, demand or even a whole lot on rarity I would imagine. Similar to how some coins with higher mintages are worth way more than some with much lower numbers. Either way, I don't plan on letting the sheet go anywhere. And if I make it back down that way I'll definitely ask you about some good coin shops to visit!

Draft saved Draft deleted