Question about a sacagawea dollar coin

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Jason1367, Jan 21, 2015.

1. Jason1367

Jason1367 Member

Hey everyone,
    For about a year now I have been helping out a old timer with yard work, and help around his place. When he learned I was a coin collector instead of paying me a few bucks he hands me coffee cans full of coins he has saved over time. Now and again ill find a diamond in the rough but mostly I use the coins as fillers for my coin books. But yesterday I opened up the can and poured them out on the table for my son and I to do our normal sorting through them.
    Instantly a Sacagawea dollar caught my eye. Not only was it a coin that was in with about 200 cents but it was silver. I tried looking up to see if there was a 2000-P silver Sacagawea dollar. Couldn't find a thing. I did find a article where the government dabbled with different toning processes. I am at a loss. Has anyone heard of such a thing? I did all the amateur silver tests. And it has a real nice high pitch tone when tapped. But I have only been collecting for a few years so there is lots I still have to learn.
    So can anyone shine a little light on what I might have or not have? Is it a sort of error? Does the "gold" toning fade? If I can get some input it would be great. Thanks!!
    -Jason

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jlogan

jlogan Well-Known Member

you can scratch the outer layer off and it's silver colored underneath, but if it's not all scratched up it's probably plated

4. Jason1367

Jason1367 Member

Awe ok. I didn't know that. And no, its not all scratched at all really. Just the normal circulated condition. The only reason I ask is because ive never seen one that didn't have the gold finish.

5. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

Huh?

6. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

The biggest problem the Mint encountered with the 2000 Sac was that it started turning a "puke" greenish brown, and so they experimented with different rinses to correct it. It's possible that someone dipped this coin in a silver wash or something like that, but none of them were ever produced in silver.

Chris

7. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Don't scratch it.

There are a few Sac dollars known struck on 1999 SBA planchets. these would have silver colored outer layers but would still show the copper core on the edge like a regular SBA does. If it is silver colored, shows no copper edge and weighs correctly at 8.1 grams then it is almost certainly plated post mint. If the weight is NOT 8.1 grams (significantly off) then you may have something.

P.S. If you look in the 2001 redbook you WILL find a reference to silver Sac dollars, but they never made any.

Kasia, Jason1367 and Chiefbullsit like this.
  8. Jason1367

Jason1367 Member

Hey there, thanks for the reply. I did look in the red book. I thought maybe it was a sort of error. And yes, the edges still have a "copperish" tone to them. I weighed it and the weight was 7.6 grams. Ive only been collecting for a couple years and never dealt with these coins so I know very little on them. I appreciate your input because im clueless whe in comes to these.

9. Kasia

Kasia Got my learning hat on

You can take some pictures. They really help here on CT when questions are asked. Plus you start learning about coin photography which is one of the neatest offshoots of coin collecting!

10. Jason1367

Jason1367 Member

Ok I tried to get the best pics as I can. I had to use my camera on my phone due to my son dropping my camera.

Attached Files:

11. Kasia

Unfortunately, hard to say. But first thing about coins, don't hold them the way you are in the second photo....

Perhaps you can fool around more with pics.

12. Jason1367

Jason1367 Member

If your to look at it under a magnifying glass it looks like it is half copper and half silver. And yes I made the mistake holding it like that. Was the only was I could get a shot that wasn't dark. But your absolutely right. Thanks!

Kasia likes this.
  13. Kasia

Could then be on a wrong planchet. Perhaps keep it and at some point get it to a coin show and see someone who deals with error coins. They should be able to say for sure in hand.

14. Jason1367

Jason1367 Member

Ok cool, will do. And I am going to repost this inquiry on the "error" thread. I know there are a few people that know a lot about errors. I started here in hopes someone knew of any of these type of coins out there. Thanks a lot for your info Kasia!

15. Jason1367

Jason1367 Member

Ok cool, will do. And I am going to repost this inquiry on the "error" thread. I know there are a few people that know a lot about errors. I started here in hopes someone knew of any of these type of coins out there. Thanks a lot for your info Kasia!

16. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Possibly plated?

17. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

The possibility of some appearing so exists in the 2008 Red Book. Don't believe it ever happened though.....

18. Jason1367

Jason1367 Member

That's what another person said. But he said if it was plated the sides would also be fully silver. When ya look at the sides of the coin it is almost like looking at a newer coin made of copper-nickel.

19. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

The weight of 7.6 grams is odd. Significantly less than if it were a 1999 SBA planchet, but also wrong for a dollar planchet punched from quarter or half dollar stock. Get an in-person expert opinion and report back!

Jason1367 likes this.
  20. Jason1367

Jason1367 Member

What was the weight for the 1999 SBA? In the red book under the SBA they have it weighed as 8.1 grams. I know it changed in 99 but it does not say the other weight after 99.

21. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

I'd be surprised if it changed in 99, since I would think that would mess up vending machines.

Draft saved Draft deleted