Question about a 1901-o morgan dollar

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by expat, May 27, 2020.

1. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

Can someone please explain the surface of this coin to me please. I have done so much reading lately on die deterioration that i have started to confuse myself. The reverse has a "starburst" effect die crack, but i would like to know what has happened to the area surrounding it. Is this known as a displaced field or am i confusing it with something else or are they clash marks. The reverse die seems to be rusted. Any of your great insights are welcome.
    20200501_201626.jpg 20200426_143407.jpg Annotation 2020-05-24 101016.png

YoloBagels likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TSE

TSE New Member

I'm curious about the thickness of the writing in "LIBERTY" and the deep band in the hair. I posted in a thread I started a few weeks ago regarding these sections. Mine were on San Francisco mint copies of the same year (1921 in my case) IIRC. One had narrow valleys in the word and the other had wider valleys. Unless there were variations in dies like that as well as different sized numbers in the date, one of mine is counterfeit. They are both real silver however. I subsequently looked at a friends collection. Many of his are fakes that aren't even real silver but I believe he also has counterfeits that ARE silver.

Anyway, looking forward to opinions on your Morgan as I try to learn more.

Inspector43 likes this.
  4. expat

Interesting. As far as i know, this one is genuine. From what i remember of my father in laws records he purchased this one, a 1902 and two 1921 P's from a dealer in Panama in the 60's. He had a 3 day wait to enter the canal and arranged to meet the dealer onshore, as he always took the opportunity as a merchant seaman to make contacts among coin enthusiasts in whichever port they were anchored.

Inspector43 likes this.
  5. expat

Weird how the mind works, you got me checking the size and weight to satisfy my curiosity. But they are correct, 38.1mm and 26.67g which is only a fraction light. 20200528_211140.jpg 20200528_212042.jpg

TSE likes this.
  6. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

It all looks normal to me. It's shows wear and lots of bag marks. The coloring is not rust, just slight toning.

7. expat

Thanks, i will write that up and file it for future reference after i have attributed a VAM number to it

Draft saved Draft deleted