Question about 4 wheat pennies

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Juggalo, Oct 11, 2019.

1. Spark1951

Spark1951 Accomplishment, not Activity

...all of the cents list for approx. 15 cents @ NGC. A LCS will give around 4 cents apiece, but a roll or more at a time...Spark

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

These are common circulated cents. NGC prices are better for other types of coins.
    An LCS will give 2 cents apiece if they are even buying and these can be bought by the boxload for 3 cents each.

4. Spark1951

Well, it used to be 4 cents...(smile)...Spark

5. Juggalo

Juggalo Active Member

I tried the PCGS (is that right) app for grading unfortunately it was a waste of time it to dl. Because they used just pictures to show the different grades and they would show a wheat for one grade then a memorial for the next and even though I don't know much about grading I know you look at different things on those 2 types of pennies. They should have included what your supposed be seeing for each grade. How did you start to learn about grading any suggestions? I'd like to be able to at least get in the general ballpark when trying to figure out the grade on the different types of coins. Actually I wish someone would come up with an app that would allow you to take a picture of a coin and it would give you at least an approximate grade for it.
    "Trying to learn something new every day"
    One last thing I don't want everyone to get the wrong idea I'm not into this as a way to make money but I did choose this hobby because I thought when something came up I could get the occasional $10-$20.

6. TyCobb

TyCobb A product of PMD

I asked questions and recommendations: https://www.cointalk.com/threads/grading-books.347124/

Almost everything related to grading is going to fall into wheat examples. But you will get the general idea for the LMC because you can see the high points wear and if the steps start to go then you know it is wearing pretty good. The obverse is a good start though.

It takes time, but the reason I wanted to do it, is if I am looking at thousands of coins, I would like to learn something while I do it. It really just takes time and hands on experience. If I could give some more tips I would, but I am barely there as I just started. The only real thing to remember is that the Lincoln design changes between decades and so you get to learn how to read his profile and what is worn vs slight design change. No book will have all variations of him and you just need to look at mint examples to determine what it should properly look like.

I love the LMC, but it will probably be another decade or two before more attention is given to them. For now, wheats are still the main subject of the cent in grading literature.

7. thomas mozzillo

thomas mozzillo Well-Known Member

I have the PCGS app "Photograde" on my Galaxy S8 and all the Lincoln cents shown are Wheaties. Maybe the one for the computer is different. Have to check it out.
    edit. Just checked the online version and all the Lincoln cents from Fair 02 to MS 68 are Wheaties also. Just Google PCGS Photograde and open their site. Maybe you opened something else?

Last edited: Oct 12, 2019
    Stevearino likes this.
  8. Juggalo

Juggalo Active Member

It was the app for Android and I'm pretty sure it was it that had the picture variation but that wasn't biggest reason I deleted it after 30 minutes it was the lack of a written explanation of each grade and the fact that starting in 2020 they were no longer going to be supporting the app.

9. thomas mozzillo

PCGS is not dropping it. They're going to incorporate it into one app. I believe it's PCGS CoinFacts. I haven't found written explanations for each grade online. They are in books. Photograde by James F Ruddy is one. Other members may know which other books give written explanations. When grading my own coins I rely on 3 different sources. Two I mentioned above and the 3rd is First Grade by Michael Fahey.

Stevearino and Spark1951 like this.
  10. SCS2019

SCS2019 New Member

How much effort are you willing to put into selling the coins? Where you sell them malkes all the difference in the world....do you desperately need the money or can you wait and put in more legwork?

11. 05Wildcats

05Wildcats Well-Known Member

Most coin stores in our area will pay 2 cents each for common date wheaties.

12. Juggalo

Juggalo Active Member

Thanks for the help I'll check those out.
    "Trying to learn something new every day"

13. John Johnson

John Johnson Well-Known Member

Those four coins would be worth less than a dollar, total. To sell common wheat cents like those, you need to sell by the roll, and even then you're not going to make much money. Wheat cents are great for getting young kids into the hobby, but I don't think of them as an investment, myself.

Stevearino likes this.
  14. Spark1951

@John Johnson ...when I started in 1962, age 11, my primary focus was IHC, Buffalo nickels and merc dimes...wheats were everywhere. That didn’t stop me from collecting them, though.

Now I have several hundred, but half of those are badly worn. All my numismatics are going to my sons. In fact, I am taking about 500 coins to my oldest boy this weekend. I am currently working on my collection to give to them NOW while I can tell/teach them why they are collectible...Spark

15. Spark1951

...I neglected to add these 500 are ALL my Jeffersons 1940-1999 and ALL my wheat ears 1940- 1958...Spark

MontCollector and John Johnson like this.
  16. Juggalo

Juggalo Active Member

I didn't think they were worth much but didn't know you needed to sell them by the roll. Ok fortunately I have a lot of others to take unfortunately they are ones that have die cracks die chips and die gouges plus some hub doubling and a ddr. Hopefully they will get me enough to get through the rest of the month.

17. thomas mozzillo

I would appreciate it if you could post photos of your coins showing a DDR and Hub Doubling. Thank you.

Stevearino and John Johnson like this.
  18. Andygator

Andygator Member

First post....

This thread is so spot on to what i have lived in the eight(8) weeks.

I don't even remember how it started. I went from being a normal adult, to a fog, to four (4) boxes a week. So far, i have paid face for all but: 400 wheat "S"s, at $0.08 and 300 regular wheat for $0.03 each. But by God, i have made out like a Bandit. I forgot, i did pay $1.37 per dime Mercury's.

For example, i got very choice steel wheats(31) at $0.01 with a bunch of indians for the same price.

I am having a ball when i am not cramping up from the enduro mega-sorts.

After your first several tens of thousands, the visual accuity blossoms!

John Johnson and Stevearino like this.
  19. Stevearino

Stevearino Well-Known Member

Welcome @Andygator! Would love to see some of your best finds.

Steve

20. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Hey guys! I don't know anything about cars, but do you think it's possible for me to buy some "junkers" for $50 and flip them for a $10 or $20 profit? I don't want to learn how to become a mechanic, so don't suggest any "How To" books on the subject.

Chris

Kentucky likes this.
  21. John Johnson

John Johnson Well-Known Member

Can you provide pictures of the junkers so we can give you a reasonable answer?

Kentucky likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted