Question about 4 wheat pennies

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Juggalo, Oct 11, 2019.

1. Juggalo

Juggalo Active Member

I'm taking some coins in to the local coin shop to try to sell and I'm just wondering wether or not they might take them and about what if anything they might be worth? I respect everyone's opinions here and I know i'll get good advice. The coins are 1950 S, 1954 D, 1956 D, 1958 D. Also I was wondering if S mint mark pennies are more sought after? I have a few S's and wanted to know if I should include them in what I take. Looking forward to hear what everyone thinks.
    "Trying to learn something new every day"

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Not worth taking in to try and sell. They are worth face value. I highly doubt your LCS will give you anything for them.

4. Stevearino

Stevearino Well-Known Member

I doubt that any local coin dealer would offer you anything for these four cents over face value. While the 1950-S has a tiny bit of luster, there are "bruises" on Old Abe.
    JMHO.

Steve

David Eugene Swiger likes this.
  5. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

6. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

4 cents each max

7. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

You might get a nickel for them.

8. Juggalo

Juggalo Active Member

Thanks for the knowledge. While 5¢ beats 1¢ I guess i'll just keep them. What about S mint marks I have a 1968, 3 1969, 1970, 1971 and a 1974 are S mint marks more sought after should I take them? Let me guess I should post them in new threads.
    "Learning something new every day"

9. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

There's no market for a dealer to give you 6 or 7 cents for them and to sell them for 10-12 cents. There's also no profit for him. He's paying rent.
    They are worth about 2 cents each if you are selling, and 3 cents each if you are buying. In mint state then they are worth more.
    Those S mints are 1 cent each.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2019
  10. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

S mintmarks on those dates are spenders unless in extremely nice condition. Look at the mintage figures in your Red Book.

11. Juggalo

Juggalo Active Member

So unless you got a 55 doubled die or something similar coins are all pretty much face value. So what's the point in collecting. I admit some of the coins I've found are kind of cool but there hasn't really been anything that once I've seen it I would have to look at it over and over again.
    "Definitely learned something new today"

David Eugene Swiger likes this.
  12. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

It's just something to have fun with.

13. thomas mozzillo

thomas mozzillo Well-Known Member

Coin collecting (Numismatics) is a hobby. As @ldhair said "...to have fun with". You may enjoy it more if you bought some coin holders for modern US coins and tried to complete a series. Start with coins you find in circulation and try to upgrade each one as you go along. The coins you posted would be a good start. S mint coins are very difficult to find even though they're not worth much. If you start with Lincoln cents, after you get an album, PM me and I'll donate a few earlier date Wheaties to help start you off. Don't expect key or semi-key dates, lol. :)

Stevearino likes this.
  14. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

For the 1950s LWCs if it is not a desirable variety then it needs to have blazing red luster with hardly any marks to be worth a few bucks. MS 65RD for this date and MM retails for 8 dollars...a 67RD and it gets to $140.
    PhotoEditor_20191011_194604613.jpg

15. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

You're in the wrong hobby. Get out now!

Chris

16. Juggalo

Juggalo Active Member

To be honest I think the biggest part of my problem is before I was told about sites like Wexler's and Varietyvista to find out about a coin I would Google it and besides the sites that would give you the general information on it there are these YouTube videos and a lot of them are talking about how there are coins that look like garbage are 1960 and newer but are wothw a couple hundred dollars or more. Looks like there must only be a few that are like that. The other part of the problem is I have OCD and one of the things that triggers it is when I start something new like a hobby. I tend to go a little over board I've just started a few months ago and from the start I was getting $20 just in penny rolls a week I won't say how much in rolls of nickels dimes and quarters I am also hitting the change machine at the laundromat for quarters every time I go to the store. Fortunately I get almost everything back but as much as I have gone through I would have thought I would have found more than one DDR and that no one thinks will be worth much if anything. Also it would help if I can get past the idea of a coleccolle being worth something more than the thrill of the hunt.
    "Still trying to learn something new every day"

17. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

I agree with Chris! I found my avatar coin for like 10 bucks and I never get tired of looking at it! PhotoEditor_20191011_211530037.jpg

18. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

This hobby is different things to different people. I agree that one look at a coin found searching rolls is probably all I could muster. I prefer coins in good condition, with luster and eye appeal to error coins any day of the week. Just my opinion.

Edit: but I have seen some nice error coins that do capture my attention as well!

Stevearino likes this.
  19. Juggalo

Juggalo Active Member

That's a awesome coin and I don't blame you for looking at it a lot. But there's a difference between it and what I've come across is that you wouldn't find something like that in change or CRH. If I went out and bought something I liked of course I would look at it often. As for my getting out fast isn't happening I've met to many good people here that by listening to they're advice I'm trying to change my way of thinking about this new hobby of mine.
    "Trying to learn something new every day"

Stevearino likes this.
  20. TyCobb

TyCobb A product of PMD

I think the initial reasons for getting into this was just flawed. CRH won't make you rich in monetary value as you probably have a better chance of hitting a jackpot playing the lotto than hitting that 1 special coin in a roll. The Error forum is actually sad sometimes because you get the feeling that the poster might be doing it because they need money and last resort is looking for anything in their pocket.

As others have said, it is a hobby and CRH is a great way to start a simple collection. I'm still at the point where if it looks decent, I'm keeping it. Why? Because it's fun collecting and fun trying to find a better version in the next roll or box. Plus it's still money. I kept $1 worth of coins. Did I spend $1? No, I just moved it. 2x2s though? Yea... lets ignore materials as that's the real cost. :hilarious:

You won't get rich, but you can make money over time with CRH. Always ask for Customer Wrapped Rolls at the bank. Anything is possible in a customer wrap and you have the potential to get silver out of quarters and dimes. Bank wrapped nickels can still contain silver though so no problem, but it is rare. Another bonus, albeit morbid, is people die and some families just don't think and start rolling grandpas hoard of coins which could now be yours if the timing is right.

I would just sit back and think what it is you are trying to accomplish and/or collect. Then use that as a starting point and go slow from there. You still get to hunt, work on your goal, and still have the chance at something extra. Just don't think about the potential value of every coin. That doesn't mean stop researching, but just understand the values listed versus the one you have in hand which the next step would be trying to learn how to grade your coin. That was the natural next step I took a month or two ago and it was the best thing I could have ever done. I wished I had started that last year.

enamel7, Andygator and Stevearino like this.
  21. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

And this is the absolute best answer to any question about coin collecting.

Draft saved Draft deleted