Question about 2 pennies?

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Juggalo, Oct 5, 2019.

1. Juggalo

Juggalo Active Member

I have 2 pennies and I'm wondering if anyone knows what the might be worth? The first is a 1979 D missing the initials on the reverse. The second is a 1999 P it's a DDR there are 3 or 4 possible ones it could be I'm having a hard hard time. The doubling is on Lincoln's left (on the right of the coin to us) on the 7th Piller. I would greatly appreciate everyone's opinions about what they might be worth. Thank you everyone.
    "Learning something new every day"

Attached Files:

Don raye todd likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

The 79-D is cool but it really doesn't have much, if any premium. Many minor errors add no additional value, but some people enjoy saving them (I do:happy:). In reality, it's unusual to find an error that would retail for more than $1, so don't use CRHing as part of your retirement plan

The 99 looks like Die Deterioration doubling

4. Juggalo

Juggalo Active Member

Actually the 99 I've checked Wexler's and Varietyvista and there are like 3 on each site that the doubling is a match I'm just having a hard time with the markers they list for each because the USB microscope I have is a really cheap one that tends to turn any shade of copper a dark green so it makes them hard to see. I already posted it under errors and another member agreed about it being a DDR he found I think 4 possible matches. I posted here under what it's worth to see what everyone thought. As for the 79 personally I was guessing $1 or $2 tops which would be fine by me for a 1¢ investment.

5. Juggalo

Juggalo Active Member

It's a good thing I gave up on hopefully making a little bit extra money and switch to thinking of this as a hobby cause looks like no responses to even the DDR being worth more than 1¢.
    "Unfortunately learned something new today"

6. 352sdeer

352sdeer Collecting Lincoln cents for 50 years!

Pennies are big English coins yours are American one cent coins.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2019
  7. Juggalo

Juggalo Active Member

Huh??? Are you saying that I would have an easier time spotting the markers on an English penny because they're bigger (assuming they are IDK) or that a DDR on an American penny is worth 1¢ because they are not worth what an English penny is? Either way is cool I'm use to being laughed at if I didn't laugh at my luck I couldn't get through the day.

wxcoin likes this.
  8. 352sdeer

352sdeer Collecting Lincoln cents for 50 years!

9. Juggalo

Juggalo Active Member

To quote the youngsters "my bad" guess both of my guesses about what you were trying to explain/say we're off the mark. But I'm pretty sure that from your choice of emoji that my not understanding the knowledge you were trying to pass along has you a wee bit frustrated sorry about that. Have a good evening or morning as the case maybe everyone.
    "Still trying to learn something new every day"

10. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

No, It was said because the American coin that is $0.01 is properly referred to as a cent (centum...1/100) instead of the British coin a penny. Yeah, we commonly call American cents pennies :):)
    I'm use to being laughed at if I didn't laugh at my luck I couldn't get through the day.
    I bet you are.

11. Juggalo

Juggalo Active Member

Thank you for explaining it to me I really didn't get what he meant. Probably because it came not out of left field but from under the bench in the dugout. I thought he was commenting on the post. Thanks to you I know and knowing is half the battle (anyone know the rest of that quote?).

Kentucky likes this.
  12. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Kentucky and wxcoin like this.
  13. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Look at the reverse of the coin. It reads ONE CENT. Cent is the correct term for a US coin worth 1/100th of a dollar.

The 1999 is DDD so it's worth one cent. The 1979-D is missing the designers initials. That's a grease filled Die as the roof is intact. You might get a buck or two for it.

14. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

:nailbiting: And Here in the US of A.. we roll them up in these coin wrappers labled PENNIES :hilarious:
    Capture+_2019-10-08-09-28-28.png

JeffC, Kentucky, USS656 and 2 others like this.
  15. Juggalo

Juggalo Active Member

Ok I've seen the light but I have a question. The 1999 one cent what's a DDD and what makes it that and not one of the ones it looks like at Wexler's?
    "Trying to learn something new every"

16. wxcoin

wxcoin Getting no respect since I was a baby

Those who get bent about cent vs penny argument should call the Buffalo nickel the Bison nickel. Cent, penny, I don't care really since I know what they are talking about.

JeffC likes this.
  17. Collecting Nut

The designer was obviously not a coin collector. :)

paddyman98 likes this.
  18. enamel7

enamel7 Junior Member

The 99 is actually a doubled die. What you're seeing is known as an extra column.

Spark1951 likes this.
  19. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

Even the mint uses the word "penny" in place of cent, but that's neither here nor there. The missing initials are fairly common as the die gets polished and wears that area away, so no premium IMO. The 1999 appears to be a normal circulated coin minted with worn die, DDD, again no premium IMO.

20. Collecting Nut

DDD is from a worn die. It's a common form of worthless doubling.

21. enamel7

enamel7 Junior Member

Which the 99 isn't ddd.

Draft saved Draft deleted