Question about 2 mint marks?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Juggalo, Oct 10, 2019.

1. Juggalo

Juggalo Active Member

The first is a 1996 D quarter. I'm wondering if it's doubled or possibly a re-punched? The second is a 1994 P quarter. I just wanted to see if anyone knows why it looks the way it does because there's no damage around it to have shaped it the way it is so is it die deterioration? Thanks for checking it out and any advice you can give.
    "Trying to learn something new every"

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

The first one looks normal with a small repunch. The second one, I think you need to examine it more closely. It is damaged. The top left has been smashed down. The bottom of the P is the same. The curved loop on the P has taken a strong hit. As far as the straight line in the P being curved, it's no wonder with the number of hits that mintmark has received.

4. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

Sorry @Collecting Nut but you there's no such thing as a re-punched mint mark after 1989, because they stopped hand punching all mint marks then. What we're seeing can only be some sort of doubling, machine or otherwise. The photos aren't clear enough for me to tell, but I'd personally toss both of these back into the pile...

paddyman98, alurid and Collecting Nut like this.
  5. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

A little MD on the D mint and damage/hit on the P.

The info @Seattlite86 mentioned is one of things to remember as you're searching and see something unusual with a mm

Seattlite86 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted