question about 1982 quarters

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by MatrixMP-9, Nov 17, 2019.

1. MatrixMP-9

MatrixMP-9 Well-Known Member

Im trying to make sense of what I just read. What I read makes it sound like there was "hub doubling" on every 1982 Quarter all mints. Is that accurate? I ask because I got a quarter today that was in very good condition but the IGWT was super bubbly looking. I thought it was just a severely worn die that would cause this condition. Heres just a quick picture of the coin I found that sparked my attention. I dont look at quarters really so it was a surprise to see how "expanded" looking it was. Ive seen IGWT look fat but its always from being smashed somehow. The other devices on the quarter look great with hardly any wear. So do they all look like this and I just never noticed?

IMG_7502.jpg IMG_7503.jpg Snapshot000021.jpg Snapshot000022.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. MatrixMP-9

Below is what I am referring to. I must be wrong. All 1982 quarters will have some degree of hub doubling causing "extra thickness" in IGWT???? Some of the more senior collectors have said before "dont trust anyone or anything you read" yet I tend to trust Wexler pretty much with all things. Is this accurate????? Am I reading this and comprehending it wrong?

Below is copied from Double die....

1982-P 25¢ WMDO-001 Master Die Doubling

Description: A spread towards the center along with significant extra thickness shows on IGWT and slightly on the date.

Die Markers: Obverse: Die markers will vary with the different working dies. Reverse: Die markers will vary with the different working dies.

Submitted By: John A. Wexler

Cross References: None known

Comments: Since the doubling is on the master die all 1982-P, 1982-D, and 1982-S Washington quarters will have this doubling. Apparent differences from coin to coin may result due to working hub wear, working die wear, and wear to the coins.

4. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

looks like IGWT is DD and significant MD

5. MatrixMP-9

Claw..."DD" as in Die Deterioration correct?

6. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

DD refers to doubled die; DDD refers to die deterioration doubling.

The problem is that too few people want to type out the entire word.

I can't tell from your photos if there is any significant doubling present. The dies may have been too worn.

Personally, I think it is a big waste of time searching for all these dang minor varieties. If you can't see it with a 10x loupe (max), then it isn't worth the trouble.

Chris

7. MatrixMP-9

I think mine is 30X up to 1000X...if the side of this thing is accurate. I leave it on the lowest setting for the most part. I have to get a new one that only goes to 10X.

...OK, so the "Master Die" had doubling and that then leads to all of the "working dies" having this spread on IGWT. Basically, it means that it is a Doubled Die BUT completely common among all quarters of 1982. Worth putting into the bubble gum machine,

Kevin Mader likes this.
  8. MatrixMP-9

and THANK YOU as always.

Draft saved Draft deleted