Question about 1982 Lincoln Cents

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Brennn10, Sep 30, 2007.

1. what noise does a copper coin and a zinc coin make when you drop it?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Gotta do it...what's brown and sounds like a bell
    .............................................................................................. dung.

Seriously, when you drop a zinc coin (including Zincolns) on a hard surface, they do make a very dull "dung" sound whereas a copper coin makes a nice ring.

You will often hear the ring referred to when talking about silver coins. Here's a fun thing, take a larger (50 cents or more) silver coin (circulated please) and hold it lightly between thumb and forefinger, blow sharply on the edge of the coin and bring it quickly to your ear. For silver coins you will hear a sharp ringing.

coins are awesome likes this.
  4. interesting I might try the silver coin thing

Kentucky likes this.
  5. and thank you

Kentucky likes this.
  6. Kentucky

You're quite welcome.

7. Kentucky

Another that just occurred to me about the "ring" of silver...why do you think Christmas Carols are about silver bells...they have a beautiful ring. Also flutes made of silver are popular for that reason.

8. chascat

chascat Well-Known Member

I often wondered about the existence of a 1982-D bronze sm.dt cent. One has now been discovered in a random search of Lincolns by a cherrypicker in Minnesota. NGC has certified the coin...2712641-001 AU58BN. Read the article in CDN Blog. I will spend more time now trying to locate another...I always thought they existed, and now we know they in fact do. Happy hunting!

9. why are 1972 pennies called a double date coin

10. bdunnse

bdunnse Who dat?

I have never been able to tell the difference in sound between the two. I must be tone deaf (perhaps even tone dead).

11. Kentucky

They aren't, a coin is only called a double dated coin when the date is doubled. Look on google for a doubled die 1955 Lincoln cent and you'll see what they mean.

12. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

I remember in years past certain people offering strike doubled examples as "double date", clearly in an attempt to prey upon the ignorant or confused.

Kentucky likes this.
  13. ok thank you

14. Maintain

Maintain Active Member

Older cents, I believe have a slightly better, deeper strike. Just a better coinage all around. Like everything else these days....

15. Aperson

Aperson New Member

What is a memorial reverse penny?

16. Kentucky

In 1959 the reverse of the US one-cent was changed from the "wheat stalks" to a depiction of the Lincoln Memorial. This is the LMC or Lincoln Memorial Cent. Welcome to CT

17. Fullbands

Fullbands Certified Authentic Details

You know how you flip a coin in the air using your thumb and fore finger? Like settling something by choosing heads or tails? That’s how you can tell the difference between a copper and a zinc cent. If it’s relatively quiet where you do it you can hear the copper coin ring. The zinc coin will just click as it comes off your thumbnail. No ringing. The sound is subtle. Not like a bell, but it’s there. Same principle as dropping it on a hard surface, just that your thumbnail isn’t hard enough to impart any damage on any coin. Scales are nice but if you don’t have one you can sort a lot of 1982 cents in a hurry with this method.

Rick L.

18. Kentucky

I don't think many people here would agree with that.

Draft saved Draft deleted