Question about 1982 Lincoln Cents

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Brennn10, Sep 30, 2007.

1. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

Welcome to CT @coins are awesome. I hope you find it interesting. There are many cool things to learn.

Please also understand that this a pretty popular coin site. There are many people who "sign up" and ask questions, get their answers, then never come back. It can be tiresome. I hope you stick around and learn more about your collecting interests.

There are so many highly knowledgeable collectors on this site. You'll be able to get answers to all your questions.

Again, welcome to Coin Talk. I hope you stick around!

mikenoodle likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

Excellent. Your willingness to let us know that says a lot about the goodness of your character. Numismatics is a hobby of knowledge, though, so you will have to work very hard to keep track of things. I will not forget this, and will be more patient with your questions in the future.

4. Mr. Super Dave may I ask how old you are?

imrich likes this.
  5. imrich

imrich Supporter! Supporter

I commend you son, as you have a sense of humor and a grasp of usage/grammar/diction that almost had me falling out of my chair in hysterics. So often I hear someone ask another "can I ask", rather than properly "may I ask", where I just bite my tongue. Often I've seen on this site and others, people being corrected for improper spelling and use of words, but never have I seen complements for proper usage, to the contrary, individuals are criticized for others lack of comprehension.

Before your age, in the parochial school I attended, I was teased/known as the "Dick of Diction", upon praising others for proper English usage, you are now to be a member of that proud minor group.

Thanks for joining our group, and asking that question after being asked same earlier because lack of "understanding". You made my day!!

Richard

Last edited: Nov 1, 2016
  6. RonSanderson

RonSanderson Supporter! Supporter

There may be some delay. He counted on his fingers, then took off his shoes and counted on his toes, and now is out grabbing people on the street to get more fingers and toes to count on.

(Apologies :hilarious: - I was bad ...)

7. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

I'm 57. And although it's nice of you to use the term "Mr." when you address someone, in the online forum environment it's not necessary to do that and still be polite. You can call members by their "nick" as if it was their real name, and I answer to "Dave" also. :)

8. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Four different designs, two different compositions, three different mints.

Philadelphia made the four designs in copper plated zinc for circulation and the four designs in copper for the mint sets
    Denver made the four designs in in copper plated zinc for circulation and the four designs in copper for mint sets
    San Francisco made the four designs in copper for proof sets.

That give you 8 varieties for Philadelphia, 8 for Denver and 4 for San Francisco, total 20 different varieties.

Not sure I can make it any clearer.

9. I understand thank you

10. thebeav

thebeav Lifer

Back in 1982 made a pile of 'give-away' Lincoln cent scales out of popsicle sticks. I glued a known copper cent (pre-'82) on one end of the stick. I then placed the stick so the empty end was hanging over the edge of a table. I then placed another known copper on the empty end and moved the stick to the point where this second cent would cause the stick to topple off the table. I then drew a line on the stick where the table edge would be when the topple would occur. So then, anytime, you could set up the stick on a table top with the empty end hanging off the table and the line drawn on the stick at the table edge. When you put a zinc coin on the end of the stick, the stick would just sit there. When you put a copper coin on the end, it would topple. I must have made a hundred of these back then. Of course, back then, a digital scale cost a fortune, unlike today.
    Excuse me if this has already come up as I didn't read this whole thread.
    Paul

[​IMG]

BadThad, RonSanderson and imrich like this.
  11. Duane Charter

Duane Charter Member

You can buy a coin scale on the internet. Not too expensive. It must weigh in grams and must have 3 zeros to the right of the decimal point. Don't remember what that is called. As was noted above...copper is around 3.11 grams and zinc is around 2.5 grams.

12. Johndoe2000$

Johndoe2000$ Well-Known Member

Hello, and welcome to Coin Talk, please be aware that there's a lot of very nice, helpful folks here, but there are some who are not. Please be aware of that.

John.

13. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Welcome to CT...I am 71 and we have some members who are over 90.

coins are awesome likes this.
  14. Eaglefawn

Eaglefawn Active Member

SPECTACULAR!!!:kiss:

15. imrich

imrich Supporter! Supporter

You'd better be careful. Your "SPECTACULAR!!!:kiss:" post may awaken some "old timers". They might inquire "may I ask your age young lady, and do you come here often?" :vamp: LOL

Last edited: Nov 4, 2016
    Eaglefawn and coins are awesome like this.
  16. what kind of coin weighing scale is the best

17. Eaglefawn

Eaglefawn Active Member

I'm 29 & small change at heart...my Son on the other hand sez that was then this is now Mom...still 29 but big bucks now!! :jawdrop: Stinker that he is :mad:

Draft saved Draft deleted