Question about 1982 Lincoln Cents

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Brennn10, Sep 30, 2007.

1. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

I've stated the exact weight difference in this thread, and the Lincoln Cent Resource link discusses (in passing fashion) the relative commonality of both types. Each were minted in huge numbers.

imrich likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

Welcome to CT, you may want to pick up a copy of the "Red Book" but please ignore the pricing, as it usually way off.

4. what I am trying to get to is the answer on how to tell the 1982 Lincoln cents apart because I have a book that is asking for Lg and Sm Cop or Zn Dt coins for a 1982 D and for a regular 1982

5. RonSanderson

RonSanderson Supporter! Supporter

Some of the zinc versions had problems with the new cladding process, while others are just fine. This happens sometimes with the zincs. Notice all the, well, pimples. 01c 1982D SD zinc obverse 01.jpg This is small date.

6. so that is a Zinc right? and are you saying that all Zinc coins have those pimple things or just some?

7. David Setree Rare Coins

David Setree Rare Coins Well-Known Member

A sure test to tell zinc cents from copper cents is to weigh them. Small and accurate scales are available for less than $10.00.

Zinc weigh 2.5 grams

Copper weigh 3.1 grams.

8. where can you find the scales?

9. imrich

imrich Supporter! Supporter

Go to eBay and type "coin weighing scale" in the search area, enter, and you should view a large selection of scales that will allow you to properly find the cents you want.

I suspect that you may also find a scale at local stores as "super centers", pharmacy, office supply, etc.. I believe you could call some local stores, asking for a small hand-held digital scale, and someone will acknowledge having same.

JMHO

Last edited: Oct 31, 2016
  10. RonSanderson

Just some, but none of the copper ones do.

This was the first year for these clad coins and it looks like there were occasional problems getting it right. Here is a zinc that does not have problems.
    Same mint, large date this time, also zinc, but pretty clean. If you look at it in full resolution you can see a very small bump under the date and another inside the mint mark. 01c 1982D LD zinc obverse 01.jpg

11. so if it is zinc but is smooth like this one how would I tell that it was Zinc? Would I then have to weigh it?

12. bdunnse

bdunnse Who dat?

How old are you?

13. So what does the Lincoln cent book mean by 2009 and 2009 D variate's?

14. why do you want to know how old I am Mr. bdunnse

15. bdunnse

bdunnse Who dat?

16. are you calling me a troll!!!!!!!!!!!

17. RonSanderson

Sounds like it to me.

There may be more experienced members than me who know if there are other diagnostic details that can be used if you don't have a scale.

We've reached the limit of my knowledge, so now we are both on the same learning curve.

18. ok, and are you sure that Mr. bdunnse doesn't just want to terrorize me? I mean this is my second day on here so I don't know if I can trust every one especially someone who ask me how old I am the first time they say something on here

19. RonSanderson

Well darn, I've seen lots of trolls and this sure don't feel like no troll to me...

I mean, it's not like this is a controversial topic...

20. ok I am 14 almost 15 ok Mr. bdunnse

Draft saved Draft deleted