Query on patina

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Pishpash, Jul 30, 2015.

1. Pishpash

Pishpash Well-Known Member

Can anyone explain the colour of this coin?
    A friend sent it to me to look at. In the shade it is a definite brown colour. If you tilt it in the light, it shines silver. Should the "brown" be removed?

IMG_3861.JPG IMG_3863.JPG IMG_3874.JPG IMG_3873.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

The coin may be lead which can take on a brown color like that. Is it soft? What is the weight? I would not clean it in any event since the loss of detail would be worse than any improvement in appearance.

4. Pishpash

Sorry I should have posted the dimensions. 16mm 2.44g. It is not leaving a "pencil" mark if I rub the edge on paper.

5. Topcat7

Topcat7 Still Learning

Item 351465533454 at 17 mm and 2.86 gm is for sale on ebay at the moment so the size and weight seem about right. It seems that the 'harder' the life the coin has had, the 'lighter' it gets.

Magnus Maximus likes this.
  6. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

could it be an artificial patina? like it was painted or something?

Alegandron likes this.
  7. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

If a coin has a fairly smooth patina and you light it from a sharply-oblique angle, it will always look silvery. A sharp angle limits the wavelengths hitting the camera's lens. For example, here are two images of an ant of Tetricus II. The first is the "true" color, the second is lighted by sources at sharp angles.

tet2.jpg tet2b.jpg

8. Pishpash

I read somewhere that silver can develop a brown or black patina. I haven't been able to find an example of a browned silver like this one. And it is supposed to be silver!

Chrsmat, I am not sure, it doesn't look like paint or varnish, but I could be wrong. I gave it a soak for a few minutes in acetone.

swamp yankee likes this.
  9. red_spork

red_spork Triumvir monetalis

My Marc Antony denarius actually has a very dark brown patina as well. I know these were made with something like 80% purity silver and Caesar's were higher but maybe for some reason yours isn't.

[​IMG]

dlhill132, stevex6, chrsmat71 and 3 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted