Queen Victoria & Prince of Wales coin ?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by rubelj, Apr 3, 2010.

1. rubelj

rubelj Junior Member

Hello, I'm a new member of the forum and I need your help. I have a coin but don't know much about it. So, any information would be appreciated.
    Thanks, Danko

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. waffles

waffles Junior Member

Welcome to CT,unfortunately I left my World Coins book in Bangkok.

4. rubelj

rubelj Junior Member

Never mind, I'll wait for you to go back to Bangkok...:high5:

5. se-collectibles

se-collectibles Collector Extraordinaire

It's probably a game token.

6. chip

chip Novice collector

I have heard a lot of times when some unusual piece is asked about that they are called game tokens. I like games but the only tokens I see in games are currency, ie monopoly money, or game tokens such as monopolies dogs, hat iron, or ship or certain color pegs. So what games are there that have those unusual sort of coin like tokens?

7. se-collectibles

Game counter would probably be a better term.

What games? Beats me... whatever games they played during Victorian times.

8. Cartwheel Penny

Cartwheel Penny Junior Member

Yep, got one myself, I think they're model half-sovereigns, as said, used for gambling. The design within the wreath changed a couple of times but they almost always feature the badge of the prince of wales. Probably from the 1840s.

9. waffles

waffles Junior Member

It won't be long now.

10. waffles

waffles Junior Member

Coins when flip over will appear upside down.Medals and tokens on both sides appear right sides up.

11. se-collectibles

Not always.

Both can be minted with coin turn (or rotation) or medal turn (again, or rotation). Most countries do mint their coins with coin turn but not all or not all the time. Canada has used both, Great Britian mints coins with medal turn to this day. I don't know if they've ever used coin turn.

12. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

If that was true, most of today's coinage would not be coins. :)

Christian

13. willieboyd2

willieboyd2 First Class Poster

The token is a British gaming token, I have one like it:

[​IMG]

:)

14. rubelj

rubelj Junior Member

Yes, I've seen some pics like your token, but on mine there is no year and SOVN instead of SOVRN. I've seen no such tokens yet...

15. adam1

adam1 New Member

rubelj I have one just like yours. It also has no date and sovn on the back. Have you found out any more about yours?

16. swish513

swish513 Penny & Cent Collector

from 1662, the start of milled coins in the uk, until victoria's jubilee (1887), most of the coins minted were coin turn.

17. proofartoncircs

proofartoncircs Junior Member

Canadian coins were minted in Britain until 1908. Silver coins were coin turn and copper was medal turn. In 1908 silver was switched to medal turn.

18. calumsherwood

calumsherwood New Member

did some one say gaming tokens? i love my george the 3rd tokens. most likly used in card ganes and not 18th centuary monopoly lol

Attached Files:

19. moneyer12

moneyer12 i just love UK coins.......

there are a few prince of wales model coins i have the half sov anda penny, they are not particularly rare and are worth around £1.

20. Dipanjan Pramanik

Dipanjan Pramanik New Member

What would be its price?

Draft saved Draft deleted