Queen Victoria Diamond Jubilee Medal

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by sambyrd44, Jun 30, 2015.

1. sambyrd44

sambyrd44 Well-Known Member

Queen Victoria Diamond Jubilee Medal

This small medal was made in large quantity and many survive today in collections as a result. Commemorates the Diamond Jubilee of Queen Victoria 60 years on the throne.

I enjoy this piece since it has some wear from handling and was a valued keepsake of the longest reigning Queen since the Norman conquest of 1066. Queen Elizabeth The Second will mark the same milestone in September of this year.

This medal is about the size of a florin (25 mm) with a plain edge. This one is silver but there are some variants and they are seen in bronze 56 mm and silver 56 mm as well. This medal is an inexpensive historical medal that is at home in a British type set.

There is a gold version in both sizes and these are amazing to see in the original presentation boxes which were red with velvet inside and embossed lettering on the case.

[​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Hedley Betts has an extensive collection of British medals for sale which includes three specimens of the Diamond Jubilee (one bronze and two silver).

http://www.mcssl.com/store/8596432/catalog/category/5347980
    (Scroll down to 1897)

Chris

NOTE: I am not affiliated with this site, just a former customer.

sambyrd44 likes this.
  4. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

What have you done!? Haha, I don't usually buy medals, only when they look really beautiful, but now you've opened a whole can of worms. I refuse to bookmark that awesome site in order to protect my pocketbook. Great link, thanks for sharing. :)

5. cpm9ball

Did you go to his home page and check out his other medals and books?

I'm a meanie, aren't I!

Chris

Seattlite86 likes this.
  6. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

From a British perspective his prices seem a bit expensive,like more than twice what retail would be here for similar condition.

7. cpm9ball

Granted, it has been quite a few years since I last bought from Hedley, but I found him to be very open to offers. You also have to remember that his site is a retail outlet. Too many people expect ALL SELLERS to give buyers wholesale prices.

Chris

Draft saved Draft deleted