Queen Elizabeth II At Her Finest - 1977 Jubilee High Relief By Machin

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by 7Jags, Jul 19, 2018.

1. 7Jags

7Jags Well-Known Member

This is, in my opinion, the finest rendition by Arnold Machin of QE II. It is sterling silver (I think, and maybe someone can ID the hallmarks). IMG_3101.JPG IMG_3100.JPG IMG_3107.JPG fullsizeoutput_1345.jpeg

Nas, longshot and Jaelus like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. 7Jags

7Jags Well-Known Member

IMG_3103.JPG

NOS likes this.
  4. tenbobbit

tenbobbit Well-Known Member

Try - Thomas Fattorini ( & sons )
    I am not saying that I am correct but when I see TF on medals & fobs etc it is normally the above.

5. Jaelus

Jaelus The Hungarian Antiquarian Supporter

That's a real beauty. Makes me want to pick one up now.

6. 7Jags

7Jags Well-Known Member

Yes, tenbobbit. That is who struck it as I read further in the enclosed literature. I have a feeling that this medal is likely much more scarce than the original authorised mintage of 1,000 would indicate. I have never seen it before, and late milled silver and copper my collecting focus for a very long time.

7. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

The reverse is extremely boring (and why does it mention Washington, DC? Were these made in America?)

But that high relief obverse! That is quite nice.

8. 7Jags

7Jags Well-Known Member

Yes, interesting that the Smithsonian commissioned a mint in Birmingham, UK to strike a coin whose design was sculpted by Arnold Machin (who had designed the obverse of most of the UK coins of the new decimal type started in 1968). Those are London sterling hallmarks.

Draft saved Draft deleted