Quarter with no edging

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by KimRebGoo, Aug 1, 2019.

1. KimRebGoo

KimRebGoo New Member

I know a lot of ppl have been posting about quarters Without edging or reeding and I don’t mean to be redundant but the quarter I have looks nothing like the pics others are posting. Found this 1982 quarter in my change. It looks like an oversized nickel. There is no wear and tear on the edges, it is all one color. Is it worth anything?? I appreciate feedback

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Pete Apple

Pete Apple Well-Known Member

I would like to see clear, cropped, photos - so detail would be visible. It appears to be a quarter worn down on the edge maybe in a slot machine or dryer or or something like that. Weight to 2 decimals in g and thickness to 2 decimals in mm as well as diameter might also help.

4. KimRebGoo

KimRebGoo New Member

It is not worn down. It’s smooth exactly like a nickel, all one color, not two toned. I don’t have anything to weigh the coin

Attached Files:

5. KimRebGoo

KimRebGoo New Member

Here it is side by side with a nickel. The edges are exactly the same

Attached Files:

6. KimRebGoo

KimRebGoo New Member

Also here side by side with another quarter that has ridges. The flash is on so you can see the edges are not worn down

Attached Files:

7. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

yes, something happened to it.

When quarters are minted the planchets are pushed in a chamber which the collar has the reeding on it. If the collar isn't there then the quarter gets "smooshed" and is called Broadstruck, which is very visibly evident.

Of course, quarters are too large to fit in nickel chambers, and the nickel collars are way too small to fit in quarter presses and planchets wouldn't fit.

without up close images I'd guess someone shaved down the edge and polished it.

I've done multitude of damage to coins for my kids artsy stuff including polishing the end result to make 'em look nice and shiny.

8. Pete Apple

Without clear, cropped, photos I do not know how you can expect any more satisfactory responses. Cropped means that only the coin shows - no background or fingers, etc. So far, I see nothing to suggest a mint error.

9. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

It looks counterfeit to me. Cartoonish portrait, the mintmark is wrong, and the date digits are wrong.

I recall another thread with a counterfeit 1982 quarter posted here in the last year but can't find it

John Burgess and paddyman98 like this.
  10. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

This is the way we need your images.
    But without the direct flash on it. you need a location with more indirect lighting so the reflection doesn't go directly to the sensor and make all that glare.
    upload_2019-8-1_11-35-34.png upload_2019-8-1_11-37-46.png

but it does look like a fake chicken head quarter,
    by comparison from usacoinbook.com
    upload_2019-8-1_11-38-56.png

11. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

sorry, but your coin is a counterfeit.

Neat find, but still a fake.

I really like it -- as a fake.

12. Pete Apple

Does your quarter stick to a magnet? Eight year ago these were being found in New Jersey - made of steel with no reeding - likely cast.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2019
    paddyman98 likes this.
  13. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

It's a counterfeit.
    Here's mine:
    COUNTERFEIT.png

14. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Last edited: Aug 1, 2019
    KimRebGoo likes this.
  15. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Oh.. And here is one that I own. fake!
    Found it metal detecting
    20180721_155925-1.jpg 20180721_155934-1.jpg

Michael K and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  16. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

I thought the very same thing. But then wondered why on earth someone would go through the trouble of counterfeiting a common quarter?

KimRebGoo and paddyman98 like this.
  17. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

They could be made in China or North Korea. (Or another poor country where US bills and coins circulate.) A million of them might cost $10,000 to make, with $250,000 face value. Also, most people don't even look at their change.
    When I got mine, I noticed it had significant "luster" for an 82 so I started looking at it more closely. But at first glance I was fooled. Most newbs aren't even going to question it.

KimRebGoo and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  18. Pete Apple

They would be counterfeit in 82 & 83 because no uncirculated mint sets were offered those years

KimRebGoo likes this.
  19. KimRebGoo

KimRebGoo New Member

Draft saved Draft deleted