Quarter with double mint

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Ali valentina pullen, May 29, 2016.

1. I have a quarter that has a small p where it usually goes. Then a very large p above it. I will post a pic later. The quarter is 1984. Has anyone ever seen that? Let me know! Thank you :)

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

Yes, and welcome. While possible I guess, the dozen or so "misplaced" mint marks on "modern" coins I have seen have never turned out to be anything special other than oddities due to contact with other objects. Good Luck and thanks for showing us. Don't forget that most members like to see both sides and we'll need a closeup of the mint mark area.

Ali valentina pullen likes this.
  4. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

A "very large" letter is often a "counterstamp", something that was stamped into the coin after it left the mint. Does the large letter look like it's pushed or carved into the coin's surface, instead of rising up from the surface like the "usual" mark?

We'll look for the pictures. Welcome!

5. 14645333038442014454764.jpg
    This is the picture. Maybe someone carved it?

secCoinHunter likes this.
  6. Thank you for replies.

7. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

Yup, counter stamp. It was put there after leaving the mint. It's damage. If you look at the reverse, you'll see a flattening from the hammer blow needed to impress the P into the coin.
    There is no way to tell why it was done.

paddyman98 likes this.
  8. Markus1959

Markus1959 Well-Known Member

Metal punches:

Attached Files:

paddyman98 likes this.
  9. THE BIGDOG

THE BIGDOG Member

Attached Files:

10. Thanks everyone for replies. I am still going to hold on to that quarter

paddyman98 likes this.
  11. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Notice that all Images, Letters, Dates and Mint Marks are raised above the field. Anytime you see something incused into the field it is most likely added on after leaving the mint. Such as your incused counter stamped letter P

12. secCoinHunter

secCoinHunter Member

my, what a large p you have...

Draft saved Draft deleted