Quarter struck on T-1 Blank

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by 1916DMerc, Aug 27, 2020.

1. 1916DMerc

1916DMerc Member

Looking for opinions on value. 1941 S Washington Quarter stuck on T-1 Blank. PCGS MS64

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Beautiful coin.

4. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

Being an error coin you may get an better answer if you post in the error coin forum. My answer is whatever a buyer is willing to pay. It is a niche coin as there is fewer collectors looking for such a coin. JMO

5. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Hamlet Squire of Tomfoolery . . . . .

Excuse my ignorance. What is a "T-1 blank?"

Z

6. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

I think it refers to a Type 1 blank planchet. Corrections if i am wrong please

7. John Burgess

John Burgess Well-Known Member

T1 or Type one planchet is a planchet that has been punched out but didn't get the upsetting mill treatment to raise the edges of the coin before striking.
    A T2 or Type two planchet has a raised rim or "proto rim".

the upsetting to get to a type two is building up the height to get a strong rim on the coin, without upsetting the rim doesn't strike well.

I've got no opinion on the value of something like this, it's basically a "one off". it's worth what someone wants to pay for it and the seller agrees to sell it for. it happens from time to time, in type 1 or type 2 or just blanks getting out that weren't struck in type 1 or type 2 forms, but it doesn't happen often enough in my opinion except to be an example of manufacturing error, a missed step, that a error collector might want.

It's worth I would suppose, at least melt, but not a million dollars or anywhere near that.

I'd say if you are buying it, get it as cheap as you can and if too expensive for what you think it's worth, pass.

If you own it, and want a value to sell it, sell it for what you'd be satisfied with receiving for it, and if someone buys it, don't look back or second guess, you got what you wanted.

or take it to get it appraised for an insurance value. that would work also.

8. 1916DMerc

1916DMerc Member

Its mine, im interested in selling

Draft saved Draft deleted