[CLOSED] Quarter Notes Giveaway #3 (counterstamped quarters)

Discussion in 'Contests' started by lordmarcovan, Aug 1, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Quarter Notes Giveaway #3

9/3/21: This contest is now CLOSED. The winner was announced in Post #56.

This contest will be decided by a random number drawing sometime on or around September 1st, 2021, or whenever I'm available on the forums. I might end it earlier than that, but if so, there will be another identical giveaway posted shortly afterward. Should I be absent, you may consider the contest active until such time as I return and finalize it with the drawing, and then we'll move on to the next one.

The enigmatic “QuarterMaster” from Quarter Notes, Ltd. sent me another surprise package. This time it was a small Priority box. I always open my mystery-mail from Quarter Notes because it’s always interesting and fun.

The QuarterMaster (whose secretive identity remains unknown to me to this day) sent me two rolls of his handiwork this time.

You see, he counterstamps short, pithy phrases- which amount to riddles, sometimes- on Statehood quarters, and releases them into circulation. Often the phrase has something to do with the state featured on the host coin.

[​IMG]

Some folks who end up on his mailing list (who knows how?) get these in the mail. Occasionally with the mind-blowing inclusion of crisp, high-denomination US currency notes. I've been pleasantly shocked to find a new hundred-dollar bill in the envelope a time or two! Others have received fifties. Just once in a while. The Quarter Master knows how to keep things exciting.

This time around, the generous QuarterMaster has instructed me to give away eight lots of ten counterstamped quarters each. This I will do as my schedule permits. We will give these away via random drawing, per my usual practice.

The winners should have fun trying to solve the riddles of the counterstamps.

I will also toss in two trinkets from my own inventory into each lot, and will ship the lots with some vintage (1930s-1950s) stamps, just for added fun.

[​IMG]

So... want in? ;)

Here's all you need to do:

Post a reply including the phrase "entry post", and thank the Quarter Master. You may also discuss your interesting circulation finds, counterstamped coins, etc. here if you like. There is no limit on conversational replies to this thread, but limit one entry post per contestant.

This drawing is for a lot of ten (10) different Statehood quarters with Quarter Notes, Ltd. counterstamps on them. I'll try to include all different designs and/or counterstamps in each lot, if supplies permit, and will add a couple of additional trinkets from my own inventory to each lot.

And if you don't win this drawing, there will be more. There were originally eight lots of ten coins in each, total. So I'll try to do a drawing every once in a while, depending on when I'm active on the forums.

Numismatic Regards,

~Robertson ("Rob") Shinnick ("LordM")

On behalf of the anonymous and enigmatic "Quarter Master" from Quarter Notes, Ltd.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

Entry post. Gucci and Normy wish to thank the Quarter Master. Thank you.
    100_2073 copy.JPG

I never found a counter stamp coin. Other than a Kennedy head on a cent that I gave away. My most surprised circulation find was a 5% clip on a nickel....bottom left...
    Image08262017121957 copy.jpg

Other interesting finds CRH for silver dimes....
    1074792_403021393151798_484142020_o copy 2.jpg
    1398143_437276253059645_319519679_o copy 2.jpg

and my best silver finds in 1 box...
    jun21 003 copy 3.jpg

Thank you for the contest.

4. JayAg47

JayAg47 Well-Known Member

Entry post, G'day to you Quarter Master.
    I'm just wondering what tool they used to stamp these coins is specifically called, and where can I get them!
    I don't have a quarter with counterstamps, but I have this 8 Reales with a lot of Oriental counterstamps/chopmarks.
    19th.png

5. beaver96

beaver96 Well-Known Member

Entry Post, Very interesting and mysterious this QuarterMaster person. My thanks to QuarterMaster for the coins and to LordM for his time and dedication.

6. love old coins

love old coins Well-Known Member

Entry Post and thank you Quarter Master! I have a counter stamped 1825 half cent but I won't post pictures again after the prior discussion surrounding the coin. However, I did find a nice proof coin in circulation... 9.jpg 1.jpg 3.jpg

7. Chris B

Chris B Supporter! Supporter

ENTRY POST Thank you quartermaster and @lordmarcovan . The most interesting thing I ever found in circulation was a couple of blank cent planchets. I am not a CRH so this shouldn't be surprising. I will finish this with the coin my avatar comes from.

GerBru167506.jpg

8. masterswimmer

masterswimmer A Caretaker, can't take it with me

ENTRY POST

Thanks for your generosity QuarterMaster.
    Thanks to you @lordmarcovan for your neverending karma philanthropy.

potty dollar 1878 likes this.
  9. Matthew Kruse

Matthew Kruse Young Numismatist

Entry Post

Thank you QuarterMasrer and LordM!

Here is a circulation find from a long time ago but I just realized it was an error recently. Lamination error.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

Entry Post
    Thanks to The Quartermaster and @lordmarcovan for this chance.
    Here are three Stirling Silver proofs depicting seafarers all.
    Explorer, Military and Pirate
    DSC00658-tile.jpg DSC00660-tile.jpg DSC00662-tile.jpg

11. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

Entry post this find gave me stories to imagine where it has been. 20210504_110211.jpg 20210504_110225.jpg

12. lordmarcovan

Nice Lord’s Prayer piece, especially if it’s hand-engraved.

PS- I just noticed the 1944 date. So a WW2 trench art piece, perhaps. Trench art coins are cool.

13. Bradley Trotter

Bradley Trotter Well-Known Member

Entry Post

Thank you both for the opportunity and generosity. One of the more enigmatic and interesting items in my collection is this contemporary counterfeit of a series of 1928A $5 Federal Reserve Note.

1928 $5 Federal Reserve Note 2B Contemporary Counterfeit.png 1928 $5 Federal Reserve Note 2B Reverse Contemporary Counterfeit.png

14. Lueds

Lueds Well-Known Member

Entry Post
    Thanks to The Quartermaster and @lordmarcovan for this :cool:

15. DEA

DEA Well-Known Member

Entry Post

Thank you quartermaster and m'Lord. Y'all keep things interesting.

I cannot remember ever finding a counter marked coin in circulation. Some of my most interesting finds have been in the Coinstar machine at the grocery store. For example, silver quarters, dimes, and nickels - on occasion. Then there are frequently modern or relatively-modern foreign coins from Europe (euros), China, Canada, Central America, et cetera. Recently I found a slew of French francs! Probably the most unusual was a bunch of coins that appeared to have been in fire; black and, I guess, very carbonized; some were semi-melted. This bunch included a German notgeld, Chinese empire and republican, and others I cannot recall. Very bad shape, all of them.

16. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Supporter! Supporter

Entry post
    Thanks Rob and Quartermaster, whomever you are.
    I've never found a counter stamped coin before. I've seen the cents for sale in a state counter stamp for each one, but resisted buying them as they are just novelties and not something I collect. I would love to win these.

17. DEA

DEA Well-Known Member

Oh, my. I lied. I just remembered - I do have a counter stamped coin. Two, in fact.

cent-01-1975D-km201-imprint1.jpg cent-01-1975D-km201-imprint2.jpg

18. ksparrow

ksparrow Coin Hoarder Supporter

Entry post. What a neat giveaway, and thanks to the Quartermaster and Lord M. for making it happen. I don't have any counterstamped coins, just a handful of chopmarked ones, to wit:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

19. lordmarcovan

I would submit that Asian chopmarks could be considered counterstamps. Same process- different alphabet and term, is all. A subset of the wider realm of counterstamps, if you will.

20. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Hamlet Squire of Tomfoolery . . . . .

Entry post.

And eternal thanks to the Quarter Master (you too @lordmarcovan ) for the opportunity to acquire some of his amazing work.

I would love to believe the following Zoid "signature coins" were the Quarter Masters work and were placed in circulation for me to find, but alas, I've always had an overly active imagination.

Z

Signature cent - obverse.jpg Signature nickel - reverse.jpg Signature penny - obverse.jpg

21. Nyatii

Nyatii I like running w/scissors. Makes me feel dangerous

Entry Post.
    Thank you for the exciting contest QuarterMaster and LordM for running it.
    The closest thing I have to a counter stamp coin is the elongated coins I received from Rob which I've shown before.
    IMG_0395.JPG

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.