[CLOSED] Quarter Notes Giveaway #2 (counterstamped quarters)

Discussion in 'Contests' started by lordmarcovan, Apr 28, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

This contest is now CLOSED. Winner was announced in Post #87.

Quarter Notes Giveaway #2

The enigmatic “QuarterMaster” from Quarter Notes, Ltd. sent me another surprise package. This time it was a small Priority box. I always open my mystery-mail from Quarter Notes because it’s always interesting and fun.

The QuarterMaster (whose secretive identity remains unknown to me to this day) sent me two rolls of his handiwork this time.

You see, he counterstamps short, pithy phrases- which amount to riddles, sometimes- on Statehood quarters, and releases them into circulation. Often the phrase has something to do with the state featured on the host coin.

[​IMG]

Some folks who end up on his mailing list (who knows how?) get these in the mail (occasionally with the mind-blowing inclusion of crisp, high-denomination US currency notes!)

This time around, the generous QuarterMaster has instructed me to give away eight lots of ten counterstamped quarters each. This I will do in intervals of every 1-3 weeks or so, as my schedule permits. We will do this via random drawing, per my usual practice.

The winners should have fun trying to solve the riddles of the counterstamps.

Since the QuarterMaster also (obscenely) overcompensated me for the eventual shipping costs, I will also toss in two trinkets from my own inventory into each lot, and will ship the lots with a whole bunch of vintage (1930s-1950s) stamps, just for added fun.

[​IMG]

And in addition to the trinkets and stamps I'll toss in with the quarter shipments, one of these lots is also going to include a crisp $20 bill. Hey, I can't afford to fling fifties and C-notes around willy-nilly like the QuarterMaster sometimes does, but since he was overgenerous with me- as usual- I'll slip a twenty into one of these envelopes. (Which prize lot gets the twenty will also be randomly determined.) :greedy:;)

So... want in? ;)

Here's all you need to do:

Post a reply including the phrase "entry post", and tell us your interpretation of what the counterstamp means on one of the quarters in the sample photo.

You don't have to get the answer right- all entry posts will be tallied, regardless- but the QuarterMaster might like enjoy seeing people mulling over the significance of the strange counterstamps. Some are fairly straightforward. Others, not so much.

Limit one entry post per member per drawing.

This drawing is for a lot of ten (10) different Statehood quarters with Quarter Notes, Ltd. counterstamps on them. I'll try to include all different designs and/or counterstamps in each lot, as far as possible. The drawing will be done within a week or so of the start of this contest (so on or shortly after Wednesday, May 5th, this time).

Edit: Sorry- the drawing took place nearly three months late- July 30th! I'm afraid I had to step away from the forums a while, and it turned out to be much longer than planned. The winner has now been announced in Post #87, and will receive international shipping plus additional mystery prizes to make up for my unforgiveable delay in wrapping this contest up.

And if you don't win this drawing, there will be more (eight lots of ten coins in each, total). I'll try to do a drawing every one to three weeks, as mentioned, depending on when I'm active on the forums.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

Entry post ,congrats @CoinJockey73 ,georgia on my mind/ lucky #2 this time;).

Last edited: Apr 28, 2021
    sel w, Inspector43 and CoinJockey73 like this.
  4. lordmarcovan

Read the full bold text in the intro. There's one more small hoop to jump through. Your entry post is entered. Now just post your interpretation of one of the counterstamps seen in the sample photo. (Doesn't have to be a correct answer.)

sel w, Zorrbabe and potty dollar 1878 like this.
  5. Bradley Trotter

Bradley Trotter Well-Known Member

Entry Post

Concerning the counter stamp on the North Carolina state quarter, I see two possible interpretations.

1. A reference to the Duke University Blue Devils.

2. A reference to the fact that North Carolina is home to noted Protestant evangelists such as Billy Graham.

6. lordmarcovan

Good choice, since that's one of the trickier ones.

But I don't think either is correct, because I think I know the answer on that one. (No need to post again- you're entered. We'll wait for someone else to get it.)

7. MIGuy

MIGuy Supporter! Supporter

Entry Post, "Sapheads" Vermont is, in my view, a funny perspective on the Maple Syrup producers. I remember visiting Vermont as a kid and getting these little brown shaped maple sugar treats - pure sugar - that we all loved. Now I'm in the mood for pancakes!

8. Bradley Trotter

Bradley Trotter Well-Known Member

Need I mention that Georgia is a bit too obvious, having lived in Southeast Georgia, and Jacksonville, FL before.

9. William F

William F Well-Known Member

Entry Post.
    Going to go with Arkansas, seems pretty straightforward... says "IN THE ROUGH" and there is quite an obvious diamond above it so... "Diamond In The Rough" I believe...
    102559d85b73f4c868de967a1fd51de6.jpg

10. Wizank

Wizank Well-Known Member

Entry Post. This is great fun! Thanks to LM and the Quartermaster. Arkansas is a Diamond in the Rough - They actually have parks where you can find real diamonds.

sel w and potty dollar 1878 like this.
  11. mrweaseluv

mrweaseluv Supporter! Supporter

entry post...
    Ok I'll take north Carolina... Slay-Satan= Kill Devils hills :D (the site of multiple wright brothers flights)

12. TheGame

TheGame Well-Known Member

Entry Post

The North Carolina stamp is a reference to Kill Devil Hills, where the Wright Brothers first flight took place.

13. CoinJockey73

CoinJockey73 Well-Known Member

Can i enter again? If i win, I'll pick another member to receive the prize.

14. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

entry post "Georgia on my mind"

15. YoloBagels

YoloBagels Well-Known Member

Entry Post

"ENEMY" stamped above the arch, I find that hilarious. Arch-enemy

Thank you Quartermaster and LordMarcovan!

sel w, SchwaVB57, Zorrbabe and 4 others like this.
  16. Lueds

Lueds Well-Known Member

Entry Post: NC - I'm thinking that Kill Devil Hills is the area referenced :cool:

Edit: Didn't see the other posts regarding this until AFTER I posted.

Thanks again @lordmarcovan and QuarterMaster for your continued Generosity

sel w, lordmarcovan and mrweaseluv like this.
  17. masterswimmer

masterswimmer A Caretaker, can't take it with me

Entry Post

Easy one: 'Too Sappy'>>>>Vermont the maple syrup capital

sel w, SchwaVB57, Zorrbabe and 2 others like this.
  18. Copper lover

Copper lover Well-Known Member

Entry Post
    I will take IL aka Illinois as this is the home state of my beloved and I am a big fan of "Honest Abe"

sel w and Zorrbabe like this.
  19. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Entry Post

North Carolina...Slay Satan...Kill Devil Hills

sel w, Zorrbabe and lordmarcovan like this.
  20. thomas mozzillo

thomas mozzillo Well-Known Member

Entry post
    Georgia "On My Mind"

21. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

Not an entry post
    I'd rather have one with a nail hole!
    Thanks for your generosity.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.