[CLOSED] Quarter Notes Giveaway #18 (counterstamped quarters)

Discussion in 'Contests' started by lordmarcovan, Dec 19, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Quarter Notes Giveaway #18 (counterstamped quarters)

Contest status: CLOSED
    Drawing: (@Nyatii won)
    Shipped 7 Feb. 2024
    Winner's receipt

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

This contest will be decided by a random drawing sometime on or around February 1, 2024, or shortly thereafter, depending on my schedule. Should I be absent, you may consider the contest active until such time as I return and finalize it with the drawing.

The enigmatic “Quarter Master” from Quarter Notes, Ltd. (whose secretive identity remains unknown to me to this day) counterstamps short, pithy phrases- which amount to riddles or puns- on Statehood quarters, and releases them into circulation. Often the phrase has something to do with the state or design featured on the host coin.

He has anonymously sent me several rolls of his handiwork to distribute.

*Note: I am NOT the Quarter Master. Merely his accomplice (distributor).

To enter, simply post your suggestion for a future Quarter Notes counterstamp. The message must be 12 characters or less in length, including spaces. The Quarter Master reads these suggestions and may implement one or two in his future work.

The drawing prize will be a dozen (12) different Statehood quarters counterstamped by the Quarter Master.

[​IMG]

Archive of Quarter Notes giveaways

Last edited: Mar 1, 2024
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. PamR

PamR You Never Know! Supporter

I love mine!!! I will watch thread for a bit before my entry. Thank you again!

4. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

The Quartermaster sent me his newest offering in the mail yesterday. It was a counterstamped North Carolina quarter.... Alas, my Quartermaster dedicated state quarter book already included a North Carolina quarter.... I am in on this give away and I put some thought into my suggestion, so here goes.

The South Carolina motto is "While I breathe, I hope".... That comes from a Latin phrase, "Dum Spiro Spero"...... The reverse of the South Carolina state quarter features the state bird which is a Carolina Wren...... Counter stamp would read, "Dum Sparrow".... Best I got! Thanks LordM and thanks Quartermaster.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2023
  5. lordmarcovan

It's kind of riddlesome, like something he'd come up with. It would get dozens of people thinking, "hey, wait, that's not a sparrow on the coin"! But someone really sharp could solve the riddle. It's pretty tough.

Speaking of Latin, his latest mailing to me (I got mine yesterday, like you) was an Illinois quarter with UBI . EST . MEA ("Where's mine?" or "What's in it for me"?), which I just learned is the unofficial motto of the city of Chicago.

So that's kind of like your play on the motto of South Carolina. Latin-related, and kind of obscure. The QM does like to make people think, though, so who knows? He might like it.

6. PamR

Please enter me on giveaway for @Randy Abercrombie if chosen.

A little French saying for the kind Quartermaster from Louisiana. And surely our @lordmarcovan is the kindness of all!
    être gentil

7. lordmarcovan

"Be nice", eh? (I had to look it up.)

Sound words to live by in the new year.

PS- I don't think the Quarter Master is from Louisiana, but if you were referring to the phrase (and yourself) being from Louisiana, that makes sense. It would work on a Louisiana quarter. He probably doesn't have a punch for that little circumflex (accent mark) over the E, but that's probably not necessary.

PPS- (I also had to look up the name for a "circumflex", to see what that little triangular accent mark is called.)

Last edited: Dec 19, 2023
  8. masterswimmer

masterswimmer A Caretaker, can't take it with me

I'd like to throw my hat in the ring too. And like Pam, I'd like to enter on behalf of @Randy Abercrombie

As for coming up with a counterstamp of my design, lmao, I'm not nearly creative enough to do that. But I will give it the ol college try.

Since I hail from the Empire State, NY, I thought it would be appropriate to use my state quarter as my entry for this drawing.

MALUS PUMILA

I know. Not challenging. But I did preface my entry with the disclaimer of simplicity.

Rob, you be smarter than me, my friend. I thought that little accent mark was a mini chevron. Yoo lerned me sumthin good twoday. :)

PamR and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  9. PamR

Well one can turn the coin a certain way and use the great than sign >! lol! I’m so silly. But yes for Louisiana. Cajun French. Or he can put May Yea Sha! lol! :)

masterswimmer likes this.
  10. PamR

lol! Anything goes in Louisiana lol!

11. PamR

And yes makes more sense on Louisiana quarter! lol! I think I still break the rules and post incorrectly. lol!

12. Mad Stax

Mad Stax Well-Known Member

Y'know what I always thought would be a cool state quarter counterstamp? An extra leaf on the Wisconsin quarters cornstalk

SensibleSal66 and PamR like this.
  13. Mr. Numismatist

Mr. Numismatist Strawberry Token Enthusiast

Entry Post.

South Carolina Quarter counter-stamped: Hunley

PamR likes this.
  14. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

"Plurality" on a Texas Quarter.

Despite the anti-immigrant rhetoric, Texas' largest ethnic group has just shifted to Latino, with White in 2nd place.

15. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

16. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

I am the proud owner of 12 counterstamped quarters from a previous competition. So, if my number is chosen I would like the prize to go to @Randy Abercrombie

17. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

Dang man... All you guys are way too nice to me..... Thank you @expat

PamR, lordmarcovan and expat like this.
  18. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

You are very welcome

19. beaver96

beaver96 Well-Known Member

I'm in, has the Quarter Master tried Rocky Mountain High for Colorado?
    Thank you LordM and Quarter Master whoever you are.

PamR likes this.
  20. lordmarcovan

That’s more than 12 characters, unfortunately. Doesn’t disqualify you from the contest, but it’s not a messsge the Quarter Master could fit on a coin.

21. lordmarcovan

Bump, to push this above the closed contests.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.