Quarter Collection

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Sam Stone, Mar 15, 2020.

1. FarmerBill

FarmerBill Member

Nice find Sam. I have one just like it that I had about half full when it fell behind a bookcase. Since I would have to move 2 other heavy bookcases to get it out its still there. But I know where it is.

Sam Stone likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Sam Stone

Sam Stone Old, fat, bald, gray, ugly, lazy, and married

I would have to remove them to see the back of the coin to find the mint, right? The general consensus has been to leave them alone. Is there a way to know mint without removing them or cutting a peep hole in back?
    Thanks for the courteous suggestion.

4. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

Yes sir. That mint mark is on the obverse just behind Washington’s pony tail. I can tell you a simple shortcut if you don’t want to remove them from the book. Place a single
    Ply sheet of tissue paper over the coins. Silver coins will shine through the sheet like a headlight lamp. I know it sounds crazy. But it sure works.

Sam Stone likes this.
  5. Sam Stone

Lynyrd!!!

I have played guitar, VERY LOUD guitar, in front of amplifiers so powerful we had to tell neighbors we was going to shake their China when we played outdoors close to houses.

That's why I'm so DEAF now. I also have an old video of my three year old daughter getting away from mom and running up to the amp bank in the middle of a show once. I swear it looks like it's blowing her hair back. Free Bird was what we played for encores, and even though the last several years of my music was Christian music, Free Bird will always be number one or two of my favorite leads. The other is Rocky Mountain Way.

I'm sure there's some way to tie this rant to coins. Let me know when I figure it out.

tommyc03 and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  6. Sam Stone

I'm pretty sure I was supposed to know that, so yeah, I knew that. Right. Of course. Absolutely.

Thanks again, Randy!

Last edited: Mar 15, 2020
    Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  7. Sam Stone

Cool! As soon as my son's Sunday afternoon nerve wreckers leave I'll go back downstairs and check it out. Thanks for the tip.

8. Randy Abercrombie

Oh man. You and I must be brothers from a different mother. I too am a retired rock & roller and now spend my Sundays playing with the youngsters in the church.

Sam Stone likes this.
  9. Sam Stone

I can relate to that more than most people. We used to have enough money we could buy nice things. Shortly after becoming poverty stricken, we broke a very expensive, very ornate, very large frame around our most expensive painting. So I wrapped the four sides of the frame up (30 x 40") in some nice padding hoping I'll be able to get it fixed one day. I also covered the painting still inside its matting in a thick blanket and put it in a place where it couldn't be reached or damaged.

That was about 4 or five years ago and it was only last month when I finally found the painting again. I had hidden (and forgotten) it behind an almost immovable bookcase.

If you live anywhere close to Fort Worth I'll bring some strong teenagers over and we'll get your collection for you.

10. Sam Stone

WHAT? CAN'T HEAR YOU!!!

Did you just insult yourself saying you and I are alike?

Sorry. I'll make it up to you somehow.

11. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

I was in a band myself for a few years. We were called "The Wanderers". I still have a drum set and occasionally crank up my 100 watt amp and practice. We did Creedence, Grand Funk Railroad, Stones and others, mostly all cover songs. Here's an old clipping. The photo was of two of my band mates. Bruce & Dennis, both played guitar. They are still my friends after 52 years. 1 the wanderers.jpg img897.jpg

12. Sam Stone

I'm so proud to be associated with royalty. That's awesome, and you know I'm right. It's going to take some digging for me to come up with pics or paraphernalia. The short story is I owned a recording studio late 70s to mid 80s. My teenage neighbor got really sick and needed a heart and lung transplant and didn't have insurance so I asked the best drummer, best guitarist, bassist, pianist, and saxophone player I had ever seen if they were willing to donate time to record a song for her. Of course they did because good musicians know other good musicians, some of them had already played together, and they all wanted to play together. The record (yes it was that long ago) sold out locally the first day and we started getting requests to perform. The catch was I owned most of the good equipment so they had to let me play. We played almost 10 years and never took a dime except once or twice for expenses. We agreed from the first rehearsal that all money would go to charity. My neighbor was able to have her transplant in less than a year and lived almost 10 years longer than they expected. One more thing. I don't think they ever knew I was aware they turned my amp and microphone off before performing. Best band I ever heard live or recorded. Now I have arthritis and only play for occupational/physical therapy. Every once in a while I can still hit as many as 3 or 4 notes in a row without a mistake!!

13. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

@Sam Stone We never made royalty status but thank you for the compliment. We also did our share of charity events. We toned it down when we did nursing homes and did country. Bruce was big into all the old country stars. He also worked for Ovation. He made from ,special guitars for Linda Ronstadt, Pat Simmons of the Doobie Bros., Kenny Rogers, John Denver and quite a few others. He wrote many songs also, mostly ballads. He turned down a contract with John Denver for a song called "Pocketful of Dreams". He was a picker by nature but also was rhythm. He played an event for William Holden once. Some friends from his past recently asked him to write a song for a loved one who passed and he titled it "I'm Not Up There" which was played at their funeral. A real tear jerker. Our lead guitarist, Chris, sadly had a heart attack and passed at only 25. He played with the same model Gibson that Mark Farner of Grand Funk used. Mark was his hero. We never did an album but we did cut a demo (reel) tape at Knox Trail Recording Studios in Otis, Ma. We even have a celebrity drummer here in Ma. that I met from North Adams, Kenny Aranoff who plays with John Fogerty, my rock hero. I still have the tape here but it's so old I'm afraid to play it. It was a lot of fun while it lasted and none of us looks back on it with anything but good memories. Thanks for the back & forth. It was a lot of fun. And I apologize to everyone for taking this off topic.

Sam Stone and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  14. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Sam Stone likes this.
  15. Randy Abercrombie

OH JEEZ!! Man, I hate it when I lead somebody down the wrong path. I sure thought the San Fran quarters were all silver. My apologies.... Worse though, now I know my state quarter set isn't complete!

Sam Stone, Michael K and tommyc03 like this.
  16. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Well those silver proofs are pricey. In my collection I have tried to keep the best conditioned coin (states, territories, ATB) as possible regardless of mint mark. Most of them are going to be D anyway. (Because of my location.) If you have the proof S coins, I wouldn't make myself crazy chasing after the silver proof coins. But, you can't tell people what to do.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2020
    Sam Stone and Randy Abercrombie like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted