Quarantine Diary

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by The Eidolon, Mar 20, 2020.

1. The Eidolon

The Eidolon Well-Known Member

Day 71: Naples, 5 Tornesi, 1798, 30 mm version

This series ran from 1755-1798, but it was actually only minted for 3 years of that:
    1755, 1756 and 1798. They also simultaneously made a 26-27 mm version, "size varies," in 1797-1798. Not sure what they were up to.

Naples system in the 1700s:
    12 Cavali = 2 Tornesi = 1 Grano
    10 Grana = 1 Carlino
    20 Grana = 1 Tari
    100 Grana = 1 Ducato
    120 Grana = 1 Piastra
    But for some reason there was also a 50 Grana coin listed as 1/2 Piastra for 1784-5
    And Sicily had it's own equivalent Piastra with different subdivisions.
    OK, I'm confused now.
    Naples 1798 5 Tornesi 30 mm.jpeg

mrbadexample likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. The Eidolon

Day 72: Russia, 2 Kopek, 1814 ИМ, ПС (Pavel Stupitsyn), Izhora Mint

It has a huge dent in the rim, but that's OK with me. I believe these were copper
    rather than bronze, so they are pretty soft. 1814 would have been a couple years
    after Napoleon's invasion of Russia, during the War of the Sixth Coalition. Russia
    participated in that campaign, getting its revenge on Napoleon at the Battle of Leipzig. Russia 2 Kopek 1814 ИМ  ПС Izhora Mint Pavel Stupitsyn.jpeg

4. mrbadexample

mrbadexample Well-Known Member

Are you sure that's a dent and not an incomplete planchet?

5. The Eidolon

Good question! No, I'm not sure. I was just assuming it was a dent because
    my other Russian coppers also tend to have edge dents, and I've heard that they
    are pretty soft. Is there a way to tell if it was an incomplete planchet by looking?

6. The Eidolon

Day 73: Utrecht, 1 Duit, 1767
    Utrecht 1 Duit 1767.jpeg

7. mrbadexample

If the metal has been squashed in then it must have gone somewhere, so I'd expect to see some swelling round the dent. Yours doesn't seem to show any sign of that so I'd lean towards a clip.

The Eidolon likes this.
  8. The Eidolon

Day 74: 2 Hamburg 1 Schilling Billon (0.375) coins, 1726 (top) and 1841 (bottom)

In spite of being made over 100 years apart, the official weight and fineness are
    unchanged. The castle for the city arms is a little different, though.
    One enjoyable thing about going back to sort and photograph old purchases like
    these is the chance to make comparisons between coins which were bought at
    completely different times and places.
    Hamburg 1 Schilling 1726 IHL Billon 0.375.jpeg Hamburg 1 Schilling 1841 Billon 0.375.jpeg

9. The Eidolon

Day 75: From Hamburg to Hamm

Hamm City, 3 Pfenninge, 1719

I don't believe that Hamm was a free city, but it did issue its own coinage. The
    ruling line died out in the 1600s and Hamm was absorbed by Brandenburg-Prussia.
    It continued making local copper coinage until 1749. I believe Hamm only minted 3 pfenninge coins in the 1700s, though there may have been more variety earlier.

This particular coin has a distinctly oval shape. It looks like a grape. The one on
    Numista and in my coin catalog are more circular. The coin doesn't look like it has
    been stretched out after manufacture, and the border dots track the shape fairly
    well. I'm not sure if this was meant to be oblong or just had an oddly-shaped
    copper blank before minting. It also has a hole, which is odd, as copper coins were
    not usually made into jewelry.
    Hamm 3 Pfenninge 1719.jpeg

10. The Eidolon

Day 76: They started lifting the coronavirus restrictions just in time to instate a
    curfew for the rioting/protests... So still mostly stuck at home.

1 Duit, Province of West Frisia (Friesland), United Provinces of the Netherlands, 1754
    West Frisia 1 Duit 1754.jpeg

11. The Eidolon

Day 77: Span 8 Maravedis (8/34 reale), 1820, Ferdinand VII Spain 8 Maravedis 1820.jpeg

He was the king who was forced by Napoleon to resign so that Napoleon could put
    his brother Joseph on the Spanish throne. He was restored to power in 1813.
    By most accounts, he was a pretty terrible king.

Below: 4 reales, Joseph Napoleon, Spain, 1812
    Spain Joseph Napoleon 4 Reales 1812 copy.jpeg

12. The Eidolon

Day 78: Bohemia, 3 Kreuzer = 1 Groschen, 1645, Prague Mint, Ferdinand III

A coin from the tail end of the Thirty Years' War. The star over a crescent moon with
    4 dashes (a hand?) indicates it was made at Prague Mint under Jakob W. Wolker. I
    believe this was part of a collection of mostly Polish silver from the 1600s from which I picked up about 3 examples. They weren't fully attributed, and only one turned out to be from Poland proper (well, Poland-Lithuania). The other two were from Livonia and Bohemia (today's example).

Ferdinand III was also Holy Roman Emperor, and he had numerous holdings--King
    of Hungary, Bohemia and Croatia, Archduke of Austria, etc. He was a Habsburg, but
    Poland was under rule of the house of Vasa (of Swedish origin) during the 30 Years'
    War, under Sigismund (Zygmunt) III and later Ladislaus (Władysław) IV.

Obverse: FER III D G R (3) IMPERAS A
    Reverse: G H BOHEMIAE REX 1645
    Something like "Ferdinand III, by the Grace of God, Roman Emperor, Archduke of
    Austria (GH = Großherzog) and King of Bohemia, 1645"
    Here's the example on Numista, which honestly looks pretty weakly struck.
    I feel inordinate pride if my example looks better! I'm mostly a low-grade coins guy.
    Bohemia 1645 3 Kreuzer Ferdinand III Prague Mint.jpeg

13. The Eidolon

Day 79: Honestly, when I started this diary, I didn't know the shelter-in-place would
    drag on for quite so long. Some things are starting to open up, and others (like
    schools for my kids) aren't even sure if they will be opening up by the fall. So this
    thread has dragged on for a while too. If people are still enjoying it, I can keep
    posting indefinitely, though I've already posted most of my good stuff. I still have
    quite a bit of unsorted stuff I can photograph and post. For example, my "early
    1800s loose coppers" bin:
    Junk?.jpg
    Anyway, thanks for reading, and let me know if you've all had enough!

Today: 2 Empire of Brazilian copper 40 réis, with and without 20 réis counterstamp
    Top: 40 réis, 1827
    Bottom: 40 réis, 1826, "20" réis counterstamp, 1835
    The whole coin is rotated at a strange angle as the 20 countermark was not aligned
    to the to the coin's orientation at all. You can see the counterstamp pushed through
    enough to damage the pattern on the reverse too.

My understanding is that copper coinage was vastly overproduced, especially in the provinces, causing copper to not be exchangeable at par for silver coinage. The
    government demonetized the old coppers, but allowed them to be traded in at half
    face value to be counterstamped to regain legal status. Brazil had a lot of problems
    with inflation in the 1800s (and the 1900s too!), which make for a fascinating
    variety of early coinage.
    Brazil 40 Réis 1827.jpeg Brazil 40:20 Réis 1826 1835 Counterstamp.jpeg

14. mrbadexample

I've been tuning in daily and wondering how long you could continue. I'm always happy to see more, you've posted some interesting stuff. :)

The Eidolon likes this.
  15. The Eidolon

Thanks for the encouragement! I can keep finding new-old stuff for quite a while--
    It will just keep getting lower and lower grade as I run out of better coins. The
    limiting part is finding time to take half-decent photographs and look up the
    attributions.

Day 80: Duchy of Lorraine, 30 Deniers, 1728-9 (date worn), Leopold I, 0.166 Billon
    Duchy of Lorraine 30 Deniers 1728-9 Leopold I.jpeg

Lorraine was one of the regions Germany and France kept fighting over in the 1600-
    1900s. The reverse has a Cross of Jerusalem indicating Leopold I's claim to the
    Crusader-Era Kingdom of Jerusalem, as a descendant of Godfrey of Bouillon. Thus
    he called himself a king even though he only ruled a duchy.

Obverse: LEOP. I. D. G. D. LOT. BAR. REX. IER (Leopold I, by the Grace of God,
    Duke of Lorraine and Bar, and King of Jerusalem)
    Reverse: PIECE DE XXX DENIERS
    Legends from Numista, as mine are too worn to read easily.

This was from an unattributed lot of "old but not ancient" coins I got for $4-5 each.
    Some of them I did pretty well, and some of them even $5 might have been a bit
    much. But I prefer buying coins in person to online, and I'm not likely to see many
    of them again soon, so I am content.

16. The Eidolon

Day 81: Norway, 2 Skilling Courant, 1810, Frederik VI
    Norway 2 Skilling Courant 1810 Frederik VI.jpeg

Another Napoleonic Era coin, from the tail end of the unified Kingdom of Denmark
    and Norway. I believe Norway and Denmark had separate coinage, though. The
    crossed hammers are the mint mark for Kongsberg ("King's Mountain"), site of a
    massive silver mine and the mint which produced much of Norway's coinage. The
    2 Skilling was a silver coin until 1807, and then this large copper type was
    introduced in 1810. Denmark-Norway had serious economic problems due to the
    reciprocal trade embargoes of France and the UK during the Napoleonic Wars, and
    Denmark went bankrupt in 1813.

Initially, Denmark-Norway had tried to remain neutral in the Napoleonic wars. As
    the situation on the Continent worsened for the UK, it preemptively attacked
    Denmark and sunk/captured its fleet at Copenhagen to keep the fleet from being
    used by France. Thus provoked, Denmark sided with France and joined the
    Continental System. The UK responded by blockading Denmark, which resulted in starvation in Norway shortly thereafter. Norway was not nearly self-sufficient in grain, and could not obtain enough food through overland trade.

Russia had changed sides during the wars, briefly allying with France so that it
    could attack the UK's ally, Sweden. Russia conquered Finland from Sweden in
    1808-9. Having gained what it wanted, Russia soured on its alliance with
    France, and began loosening its restrictions on trade with the UK. (The loss of
    trade had greatly harmed Russian financially.) Both Russia and France began
    preparing for another war. (They had fought against each other in 1807 when
    Russia had joined the Fourth Coalition against France.) Napoleon would respond
    with his disastrous invasion of Russia in 1812.

Anyway, in spite of its loss of Finland, Sweden was on the winning side of the
    Napoleonic wars. As Sweden and Russian were nominal allies in the Sixth Coalition,
    Sweden could not expect to regain Finland as part of the peace settlement. So the
    allies promised it Norway instead. Thus Norway was ruled by Sweden for almost
    100 years, from 1814-1905. Norway had resisted this transition, with the crown
    prince of Denmark arriving to agitate in the name of Norwegian self-determination,
    and declaring himself King of Norway. After a brief war in 1814, Norway was forced
    to accept Swedish rule.

As a side note, Sweden had a very capable military commander during the war,
    because they swiped him from France. Jean Bernadotte was a Marshal of the
    French Empire, but was offered the position of Crown Prince of Sweden to
    provide an heir to the childless Charles XIII of Sweden. Bernadotte was seen as a
    capable military commander, who would put Sweden in a safer position with regard
    to potential future conflict with Russia. He ruled Sweden and Norway as King
    Charles XIV John, and the House of Bernadotte is still the ruling family of Sweden.

17. The Eidolon

Day 82: Russia, 1814, Poltina (50 Kopeks), Aleksandr I

Obverse: МОНЕТА ПОЛТИНА МФ 1814
    (Poltina Coin, Mikhail Fedorov Mintmaster)
    Reverse: ЧИСТАГО СЕРЕБРА 2 ЗОЛОТН. 10½ ДОЛЕЙ С. П. Б.
    (Pure silver, 2 Zolotnik, 10 1/2 Dolya, SPB = St. Petersburg Mint)

1 Zolotnik = 1/96th Russian pound = 4.27 g = 96 Dolya
    A zolotnik is also a measure of purity comparable to a karat with 96 zolotniks = 100% pure. So 1 karat = 4 zolotniks.
    But on Russian coins it's just used as a measure of weight.
    Russia 1814 Poltina = 50 Kopeks.jpeg

mrbadexample likes this.
  18. The Eidolon

Day 83: Papal States, 10 Soldi, 1867, Pius IX Year XII

Ob: PIUS IX PON. MAX. A. XII
    Rev: *STATO*PONTIFICIO* 10 SOLDI 1867
    This one has both a Papal year and an AD year. Some Vatican coins only have a
    Papal year. I would naively think that of all countries, the Vatican would be one of
    the most likely to use the AD years for dating. But not always so.
    Papal States 10 Soldi 1867 Pius IX Year XII.jpeg

Bonus: Some 20th Century Vatican coins
    Vatican.jpg
    From top L:
    Johannes XIII An II (1960), 100 Lira
    Pius XII An XIX (1957), 100 Lira
    Pius XII An XV (1953), 10 Lira
    Pius XI An XV (1936), 20 Centesimi

19. The Eidolon

Day 84: Two 1790 coins for the Netherland East Indies, Utrecht Arms on front.

I've read that some of these were restruck in the 1800s with old dies, but I
    don't know which ones. L one is ~26 mm, Right is ~22 mm. I assume they
    are a double duit and 1 duit.

Ob.jpg Rev.jpg

20. The Eidolon

Day 85: Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth, 3 Polker, 1622, Sigismund III Vasa
    Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth 3 Polker 1622 Sigismund III Vasa.jpeg

For comparison, here's the 1623 3 Grosze I posted earlier.
    Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth 3 Grosze 1623 copy.jpeg

I believe "pol" means 1/2 and "poltora" 1 1/2.

I'm still trying to make sense of the Polish monetary system. There are spelling
    variations used across books (poltura = poltora = półtora), and similar-sounding
    but different coins (poltorak = 3 poltura), as well as confusing singular and plurals
    (1 grosz, 1 1/2 grosze, 6 groszy). Some of the entries in my Krause seem to use
    Hungarian or German terms for Polish denominations.

If I can sort it out I'll post a table.

21. The Eidolon

Day 85, Continued: My attempt at a chart of Polish 1600s monetary units (not all of
    which were made as coins). Please feel free to point out any errors!

Sources: Numista, Krause 1600s and 1700s guides, Various online Polish
    dictionaries. I'm pretty sure my Krause has multiple errors and inconsistencies
    in these sections!
    Polish 1600s Chart.jpeg

An example of the editing quality of my Krause Guide (1700s, 5th edition, 2010):
    Poland?!?.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted