Quant Geek's Top Ten for 2018

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Quant.Geek, Dec 15, 2018.

1. Quant.Geek

Quant.Geek Well-Known Member

This year has been a very productive (and costly) year with over 500 additions, especially through lot purchases. I doubt I will keep them all, but it still gives me joy in analyzing and documenting them. Spent a good chunk of time with various types of trachea from the Latin Empires and the breakaway kingdoms of Thessalonica and Nicaea. Its still a long process that will continue into the following year as time permits, but here are 10 of my favorites for the year, in no particular order. It was a tough decision as there are so many favorites this year, including coins that ended up being $2:

1. Sarabhapuriyas of Maha Kosala: Prasannamitra (ca. 525-550 CE) 12 Rattis (ATEC 5207; ACR 904; Friedberg 120)

Obv: Garuda standing facing with wings outstretched, flanked by discus and sankh shell; crescent and pellet flanking head; in lower region, Brahmi legend: śri prasannamitra, kalasa below
    Rev: Incuse image of obverse design
    Dim: 18mm, 1.32 g, 12h

[​IMG]

2. Ilkhanid: Abu Sa'id (1316-1335) Dinar, AH720, Shiraz Mint (Album 2198, Type C; Diler 494; ICV 2128)

Obv: Within a lobated square, ﺿﺮﺏ ﻓﻰ ﺍﻳﺎﻡ ﺩﻭﻟﺔ ﺍﻟﺴﻠﻄﺎﻥ ﺍﻻﻋﻈﻢ ﺍﺑﻮﺳﻌﻴﺪ ﺧﻠﺪﺍﻟﻠﻪ ﻣﻠﻜﻪ (struck in the days of the reign of the Greatest Sultan Abu Sa'id Bahadur Khan, may Allah perpetuate his kingdom); in eight segments around, mint and date
    Rev: In a miḥrāb-like niche formed by the Kufic inscriptions, ﻓﺴﻴﻜﻔﻴﻜﻬﻢ ﺍﻟﻠﻪ ﻭﻫﻮﺍﻟﺴﻤﻴﻊ ﺍﻟﻤﻠﻴﻢ (and Allah will be sufficient to protect you against them, and He is the Hearer, the Knower); inside the niche, ﻻ ﺍﻟﻪ ﺍﻻ ﺍﻟﻠﻪ ﻣﺤﻤﺪ ﺭﺳﻮﻝ ﺍﻟﻠﻪ (There is no God but Allah, Muhammad is the apostle of Allah); below, the Rāshidūn, ﺍﺑﻮ ﺑﻜﺮ ﻋﻤﺮ ﻋﺜﻤﺎﻥ ﻋﻠﻰ (Abu Bakr, Umar, Uthman, Ali)
    Dim: 8.10g, 6h

[​IMG]

3. Ilkhanid: Abu Sa'id (1316-1335) Dinar, AH722, Wasit Mint (Album 2202, Type D; Diler 502; ICV 2133)

Obv: Arabic legend within pentafoil - ﺿﺮﺏ ﻓﻰ ﺍﻳﺎﻡ ﺩﻭﻟﺔ ﺍﻟﺴﻠﻄﺎﻥ ﺍﻻﻋﻈﻢ ﺍﺑﻮﺳﻌﻴﺪ ﺑﻬﺎﺩﺭﺧﺎﻥ ﺧﻠﺪﺍﻟﻠﻪ ﻣﻠﻜﻪ (Struck in the days of prosperity of the Supreme Sultan Abu Sa‘id Bahadur Khan, may God perpetuate his sovereignty); date within arms of pentafoil - ﺳﻨﺔ ﺍﺛﻨﺘﻴﻦ ﻭﻋﺸﺮﻳﻦ ﻭﺳﺒﻌﻤﺎﺋﺔ (year twenty two and seven hundred)
    Rev: Arabic legend in multiple lines - ﻻ ﺍﻟﻪ ﺍﻻ ﺍﻟﻠﻪ ﻣﺤﻤﺪ ﺭﺳﻮﻝ ﺍﻟﻠﻪ (There is no God but Allah, Muhammad is the apostle of Allah); ﺿﺮﺏ واسط above and below ﻣﺤﻤﺪ (Struck at Wasit above and below Muhammad); names of the four “Rightly Guided” Caliphs at 12:00 ﺍﺑﻮﺑﻜﺮ (Abu bakr), at 3:00 ﻋﻤﺮ (Umar), at 6:00 ﻋﺜﻤﺎﻥ (Uthman), at 9:00 ﻋﻠﻰ (Ali)

[​IMG]

4. Seljuqs of Rum: The Three Brothers (1249-1259) Ꜹ Dinar, Konya, AH648 (Album A1227)

[​IMG]

5. Byzantine Empire: Heraclius with Heraclius Constantine (610-641 CE) AV Solidus, Carthage, IY 6 (Sear 867; DOC 208; MIB 84a)

Obv: D N ЄRACLIO ЄT ЄRA CONST P P S; To left, bust of Heraclius with short beard; to right, smaller bust of Heraclius Constantine, beardless; each wears cuirass, paludamentum, and crown with cross; Between heads, cross
    Rev: VICTOR-IA AVCC S; Cross potent on base and two steps; in exergue, CONOB

[​IMG]

6. Seleukid Empire: Seleukos I Nikator (312 -281 BCE) AR Tetradrachm, Babylon II (Price 3349; SC C94.7d; HGC 9, 10g)

Obv: Head of Herakles right, wearing lion skin
    Rev: AΛEΞANΔPOY to right, BAΣIΛEΩΣ in exergue; Zeus Aëtophoros seated left, holding eagle and scepter; anchor and monogram to left; Π below throne
    Dim: 28mm, 17.19 g, 8h

From the Collection of José Miguel Márquez del Prado

[​IMG]

7. Arabia Felix, Lihyan: Anonymous (ca. 2nd-1st century BCE) Æ Tetradrachm (BMC Arabia pl. LV 2-9; Huth 40)

Obv: Devolved head ot Athena to right
    Rev: AΘE Owl standing right, head facing; to left, olive sprig
    Dim: 23 mm, 12.83 g, 9 h

[​IMG]

8. Macedonian Kingdom: Philip III Arrhidaios (323-317 BCE) AR Hemidrachm, Marathus (Price P166)

Obv: Head of Herakles right, wearing lion skin
    Rev: ΦΙΛΙΠΠΟΥ; Zeus Aëtophoros seated left, left leg drawn back, feet on stool, eagle in right hand, scepter in left; NKA monogram in left field, APK monogram under strut
    Dim: 14mm, 1.89 gm, 1h

[​IMG]

9. Kingdom of Thessalonica: John Comnenus-Ducas (1237-1242) BI Small Module Trachy, Thessalonica (CLBC 14.29.3; Penchev p. 52, No. 224; CNG Lot 1521/2001)

Obv: Θ ΔΙ or similar; Full-length figure of St. Demetrius, beardless and nimbate, wearing chiton, body armor with pteryges, and saigon; in right hand holding sword, resting over shoulder, and in left, shield, resting on ground
    Rev: IШ ΔЄ or similar; Full-length figure of emperor wearing stemma, divitision, orarion, and cloak; in right hand hold labarum on long shaft, and in left, anexikakia

[​IMG]

10. Byzantine Empire: Michael III "the Drunkard" (842-867) Æ Follis, Constantinople (Sear 1693; DOC 8)

Obv: +miҺAЄL IMPЄRAT'; Crowned facing bust of Michael, holding patriarchal cross on globus and akakia
    Rev: +ЬASIL-IЧS REX ✳; Crowned facing bust of Basil, holding patriarchal cross on globus and akakia
    Dim: 25mm, 6.06g

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 15, 2018
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Nice coins, many of which I know nothing about. However, they are pretty little bobbles for sure. I like the Arabia Felix, Lihyan the most.

Quant.Geek likes this.
  4. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

Beautiful coins #'s 2,3,4 that I know nothing about. very interesting looking to me.

Quant.Geek likes this.
  5. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Wow, that is a big year!

The Babylon Seleukid tet is gorgeous! It, the Prasannamitra 12 rattis, and the Lihyan tetradrachm are my favorites.

Quant.Geek likes this.
  6. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Great coins - I like the dinars especially

Quant.Geek likes this.
  7. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Great list! I have a soft spot for those solidii of Carthage.

Quant.Geek likes this.
  8. Deacon Ray

Deacon Ray Artist & Historian Supporter

Awesome collection of 2018 acquisitions, @Quant.Geek ! I like the Michael III “the Drunkard” denomination the best. Not because I used to share some of his bad habits but for the bold graphics.

Quant.Geek likes this.
  9. TheRed

TheRed Well-Known Member

Those are some great coins! As a collector of Seleukos I Nikator that Babylon II tet is my personal favorite.

10. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Great choices

11. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

What a wonderful array of coins! Most fall outside my collecting area, but that Seleukos AtG tet is a truly wonderful example of the type. Congrats!

12. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

A glorious year, I've not bought 500 ancient in my entire life
    Nice to see something very different from what we're used to

Q

13. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

I find each and every one of these coins absolutely arresting, with one notable exception: the Marathos hemidrachm. This is no doubt only because I don't understand why it's special... can you help me out on this one?

So jealous of that Michael III follis! I've been trying to land one of those for years but always come up short!

14. tenbobbit

tenbobbit Well-Known Member

A great year indeed, if I had to choose 1 from the list it would be #7.
    The devolved head of Athena is nicely complimented by the owls backward legs, interesting coin.

Draft saved Draft deleted