Quadrums are sweet...so far

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Clint, Apr 8, 2012.

1. Clint

Clint Member

I promised to give a review once my Quadrums came in. Due to Easter, I don't have much time to play, and the 3-ring binder pages are on back-order anyhow (grrr). Anyhow, here goes...

I decided on Qs as an intermediate holder between Saflips and slabs. They cost about 50 cents each, and Lighthouse makes a wide variety of keepers--boxes, album pages, etc. I like that the exterior size of the Qs is the same (so of course the internal black border increases in size the smaller the coins are), so you can display them in any order you wish.

The boxes of 10 coin holders come in little boxes with Euro translated writing all over: so you hope that's indicative of Bausch & Lomb quality, not Ikea. Well, the holders come assembled with the black border inside. So far so good. I was pleasantly surprised they are easy to pull apart, and they go back together: piece of cake. The black border is rubbery when you push a coin into it. Very easy to fit. However, based on a cursory glance, I'm guessing they aren't quite as airtite as an AT. Oh well; I live in the desert. If you live in Baton Rouge, be sure to use dessicant.

A half-mm matters. One size too big, and the coin will rattle. Too small, and the border compresses such that the holder doesn't snap together. Likewise, if you aren't paying attention, a bit of border may get stuck in the edge while snapping together, but that's so easily remedied, it's almost silly for me to write it.

When you're done, it looks very pretty. Optical quality is indeed B&L, and the literature says scratch-resistant: let's hope so. QC is not all perfect, mind you, but I'm not going to complain about a cut in one of the borders, and a minor rub in the plastic across the face of one of the holders. These are 50 cents apiece, so I think it's priced right, as a new entry. I hope they are nearly as environmentally stable as an AT, and the border doesn't tone anything. I can't say how they fit in the pages yet, but so far I'm a happy camper and plan to buy more for kids' Christmas presents, with the new reverse Sac dollars in them.

Draft saved Draft deleted